- advertisement -

Very Bad Evening

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zookpr, Jun 7, 2006.

1. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

Just needed a minute to unload! My dd had a low number tonight and just would not wake up so we had to pull out the glucagon shot. We have used these before with much success but, tonight was a different story. I gave her the shot and she just didn't seem to be responding. I tested her after 15 minutes and her number had come up from 40 to 105. She was still unresponsive, so we waited another 15 minutes. Her number continued to rise but still no response from Lydia. I called the endo's emergency number and went through the evenings events with the nurse, she told me to wait another 15 minutes. If her number dropped and she remained unconscience, I was to call the ambulance. I was praying that the Lord would just help Lydia wake up and recognize me! I tested her again and now her number was 217. She was able to wake up a little, now she was throwing up but, she did realize she was home and that I was mom. It is now 3 1/2 hours later and she is still out of it but, her numbers are up. She is still throwing up but, the nurse said that was normal. All I can say right now is, "I hate Diabetes!"

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

How awful and frightening. I'm so sorry this happened.

I would advise anyone with this scenario to phone 911 immediately if your child will not arouse. There's no time to waste waiting around for things to change.

If your child is still "out of it" 3.5 hours later, I would still go to the ER for an evaluation.

In a previous post you mentioned you've administered Glucagon 5 times in the last 16 months so today is the 6th time you've administered it. Has your child been evaluated by a neurologist for seizure disorder?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  3. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Wow, how very scary. I am so sorry you had to go through this awful experience. I am sure the 15 minute wait felt like neverending! Mia was in the 40s tonight and running around like she just had a cup of coffee...it continues to amaze me how different each of our children respond to "lows" and "highs". Ugh, your story makes every single one of my hairs stand up on my body.

Hang in there and hope things improve for you!!!

4. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

I agree with Ellen. I wouldn't have even called the Endo's emergency number -- 911 would have been my first call... but then again, I've never been in this kind of situation, so I don't know how I'd react.

A few hours of being "out of it" would be one more reason to call.

Let us know how she's doing.

5. lisamomtotwins

lisamomtotwins Approved members

OMG, how terrible!!
    But I agree with Ellen, what is going on, why is she having so many lows. How often do you test? We test Hailey almost every hour, yes that is excessive but it puts my mind at ease. If she is having all these lows then your endo should do something immediatly, she be put on the pump like right now, no questions asked! Hailey was diagnosed and had the pump a week and a 1/2 later! That will help with the lows or soemthing needs to be changed with her regimen (sp?). This just doesnt sound right. Good luck.

6. Eoin'sMam

Eoin'sMam Approved members

Courtney,

You poor thing, It just sounds like so much for ye to cope with. In my limited experience it really sounds like you need a second opinion from another Endo. But in all of this, please look after yourself..the stress you are under sounds imense

Take Care

Louise

7. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

OMG...
    how scarry.. im glad dd #'s have gone up... It all must have been terrible. Have you had her checked to why she has gone low so many times in the past? How is she NOW....? please keep us posted...

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree that 45 mins of unconsciousness is too long - I'm surprised that your diabetes doctor would tolerate that and not have you call an ambulance.

Has any research been done as to why she has needed six glucagon shots in such a short period of time? I was thinking about the continuous glucose monitor that isn't the one out there now that you can buy but the one that the doctor puts on - the numbers save in the monitor and she would wear it for a period of time and then take it back to the doctor. The doctor downloads the numbers and evaluates.

I think something HAS to be seriously going wrong somewhere if she has had so many serious lows. As you can tell, most folks have little or no experience giving glucagon shots so having that many lows is very unusual. If your pedi endo is fine with the lows then seek out another opinion.

I hope she is better - hang in there and get some answers so this doesn't happen again!

9. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

As you can well imagine, we are in the hospital today. Lydia has worn a CGM, and they are constantly changing her algorithm. They told us they were going to put her on the pump at her next visit which is in July. We have gone to the pump education class and they have are paper work so I hope so! Her morning numbers have been high but her afternoon numbers are normal. THey have checked her for a seizure disorder and all the tests come back normal. She is so sick today, I just keep crying for her. Last night was too much reality for me! How can I handle this with 2 kids??!! :eek:

10. Sue too

Sue too Approved members

You Just Do

How do you handle this with two kids? YOU JUST DO. Almost 9 years ago, as a single mom I had my 2 year old and 7 year old diagnosed a day apart from each other. I asked myself the same question. You find strength you never realized you possess. The kids do too.
    Keep tight with your endo team, accept help from those offering, ask for help when needed from those you trust, and have faith. Life gets "normal" again.

11. hold48398

Courtney,
    Hang in there. Believe in yourself. You can do this. It will get better. We are all thinking of you.

12. hold48398

Oh, and Sue, you are my heroine!!!!

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Is she wearing a CGM now?

Did a pediatric neurologist see her today? I'd want another evaluation, NOW.

Does the hospital have Internet access?

14. lisamomtotwins

Why do u have to wait until July for the pump! Your endo should see you and your daughter immed! We didnt have to wait for out endo appt, the nurse/rep or what ever you call her from the pump company hanldes everything, she trained us and got us hooked up and she is the one regulating the numbers along with my endo but mainly her. she is a nurse who just specializes in the pump. In the top hospitals in NYC the kids dont even leave the hospital with out a pump, so there is no reason why you cant push and get it ASAP! There is no reason for her to be having these lows, i just dont understand. My husband has lots of lows but nothing like this! And all these lows effect there brain development. This should not be taken lightly by the dr's.

15. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Managing a child on a pump takes proper pre-pump education. I would not necessarily conclude a pump is going to be a panacea today for this family. What else is going on is just as important to find out.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  16. lisamomtotwins

I agree with you, but the reason why I said the pump is because they said that they tried changing her regimn a bunch of times already. The pump def helps with the lows, that was one of the reasons they put my DH on it 6 years ago. And you can get proper pumping training/experience in about a week to two weeks. With classes and wearing it.

How often do you test?

17. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

On a normal day we test 4 to 6 times. As far as the pump goes, our endo is very strict about giving out scripts for them. Our insurance won't cover a pump with the doctor's script and unfortunately we can't afford one without the insurance. We did see a pediatric nuerologist in December. Everything is normal. They did a ton of blood work today and so far everything has come back perfect. They sent us home with a new algorithm and raised her Lantus from 19 units to 21 units. They told me to test twice as often for the next few days to make sure the algorithm works and if it does then go back to the 4 - 6 times. :confused:

18. Ginger9909

Ginger9909 Approved members

sorry to hear about everything. Yes maybe testing more often would help. We also check about 10-12 times daily sometimes even more. My 2 year old has been on the pump for a month now and its great.

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

20. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

At her last visit he said he felt it was time to start looking into the pump. Last month the nurse arranged for us to attend the training classes for the pump we were most interested in. We have been using the online training as well. The endo team says they are working on getting her pump by her next visit which is in July. I don't really understand why it takes so long, other people seem to get theirs much faster. I think Lydia would do so much better on a pump. Her numbers are so up and down! We are very careful about counting carbs. We follow her algorithm to a "t". I don't understand why we have such trouble with her blood sugars. I am really worried about it.