- advertisement -

Verio IQ or Accu Chek Aviva?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Oct 2, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Any comments on which meter you prefer?

I wanted a meter that worked with t:connect and the Aviva was "preferred" on our insurance plan, so I was able to get a free one from Accu-Chek. I was waiting to order strips for it until my next DME reorder.

Then, low and behold, the Verio IQ that was supposed to come with the t:slim pump but didn't due to post recall supply issues arrives in the mail yesterday.

So now I have two new meters that both work with t:connect neither of which I have ever used. I will be ordering three months worth of strips for one of these next week.

Does anyone have a strong preference either way? I think the Aviva is pretty accurate based upon comparisons I've seen, but don't know about the Verio IQ.

Aslo, this would likely just be a stay-at-home meter for now since we have 3 nano meters and lots of strips left for them. So, I'm not concerned at all about remembering to charge the Verio IQ - which is one of the big differences between them.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

We switched to the Verio IQ at the start of the year and we love it.

A1c dropped 0.5% over the Freestyle. I just think it's more accurate.

The main reason was, for me, the increased accuracy and my son just liked the way it looked. We found out our copay was $10 per 1100 so that sealed the deal. No complaints.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh geez. You have to charge the Verio? That is the nail in the coffin for me right there. I'm about to lose my mind having to charge the pump and the CGM receiver. We use the Aviva, and I guess the Verio is staying in the box for now.

4. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Yep, and the USB connection for the Verio is slightly bigger than the normal micro USB used for the G4, tslim, and pretty much anything else that needs to be charged these days. Super annoying!

5. swellman

LOL Are you really THAT technologically challenged? Can't install software, can't charge a meter ... how do you keep your phone working?

I jest.

Super annoying until you label the cable or just don't take it out of the charger.

Seriously though ... first world problems.

The battery is going to go away and you will have to charge all your devices pretty soon.

6. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I love the light on the Verio and don't mind charging it at home.

Does your school nurse charge the Verio in their office? We still use One Touch for school simply for the charging reason.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I know, I know. I just hate the fact that I have to think about it a lot more often than when I had to pop a new battery in once every two months. I'm not adding the meter to that mix until I have to! (And you kids can get off my lawn, too! :p)

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Sitting here in the grumpy side of the lawn with you! Just got the Verio in the mail the other day and haven't even opened it. There is no way ds is going to be OK with another cable to keep up with, nope!

Aviva Nano is our favorite.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I was forced to switch to the Verio from my beloved Freestyle and I was not happy. But it really is a good meter, very accurate and easy to use. As for the charging issue, I just keep the cord plugged into the wall near where all her supplies are and at the end of the week I just plug it in before I go to sleep. No biggie. But if the across the street neighbor parks their truck on the street in front of MY house overnight, when their driveway is perfectly capable of being used, I am P.Oed!! :eek:

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We are about equal split between apple and android/micro USB charger family except for our digital camera which is a mini USB like the Verio. We bought an adapter for about $2 that we plug into the camera so that the micro cables work. I'd do the same for the meter. No way do I want three types of cables cluttering the counter - two are enough.

11. swellman

We keep the charger on the bathroom counter where we keep the PDM at night. We have never had a charging problem. We do, however, have a free backup in the drawer.