advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veo with Low Glucose Suspend - our experience

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mimi, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I don't want to hijack either of the other threads but as users of the MM Veo with Low Glucose Suspend, I wanted to share last night's experience.

DD had been low, 41, at 11pm when I was going to bed, treated with juice checked in 20 min. and she had gone up to 73, better but not comfortable for sleeping. Checked again 20 minutes later, 110 ~ ok time for sleep, set alarm for 3am. Slept through alarm. :eek:

At 4:50am, I hear the faint beep of the alarm and go running into dd's room. The beeping was alerting because basal was being restarted after being suspended for 2 hours because the sensor reached it's low threshold(64) and shut off basal. Meter BG reading was currently 99.

2 hours with no basal and dd was just at 99. I wonder how low she might have actually dropped.

I gave her 2 tabs, and that combined with the residual effects of no basal for 2 hours had her waking up at 244. Far less than ideal but fixable.

We've only been at this for 3 weeks and have experienced a few false lows, a sensor that seemed to be "stuck" low and of course, the growing pains of learning this new technology.

But in my opinion as an imperfect, fallible substitute pancreas, it was all worth it last night. :cwds:

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

So glad you had the Veo last night. :cwds: I tend to think that the basal suspend feature has the potential for more good than the harm that it could cause.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

Agree. I would love this system. Happy you had it last night also.:)ali

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Thanks so much for sharing this.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Glad it worked out as well as it did.

Trust me, I would love to have a fallible substitute pancreas. Maybe I need to hop in the car and drive 4 hours to get one:p

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Thank you so much for sharing this experience. It's very helpful in being able to judge the practicality of this type of system.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The Veo is sure to succeed in my opinion. I do the same thing hundreds of nights each year - cut off basal when the sensor shows low BG. About 1 time in 10 it will be the wrong decision if she sleeps on the sensor causing a false low, but I believe that every pump should have a sensor and a cutoff feature - it's really a no-brainer IMO.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

And I don't think it would be hard at at all to integrate into a pumP either, it's the red tape getting it approved that's the hard part.

9. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

:0) How about that!!!! Go JDRF!!!! Bring the VEO & AP to the USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

10. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Thank you for your input.

Yes, my alarm is set for overnight checks, but having a pump as a back up for safety would be a peace of mind.

I am so glad you had the Veo last night.

11. Malak

Malak Approved members

I agree, we have been using the Veo (revel- in Australia), we found the low suspend a complete nusiance when using the enlite sensors. They have the tendency to have all night false lows, this is irrespective of lying on it or not. The pump suspend the insulin delivery inapproperiatly. We trust the sof sensor much more. What is every one`s experince?