- advertisement -

1. lonestar

lonestar New Member

I know other parents have worried endlessly about the same things related to diabetes care as I have so maybe this is more of a vent but I have to get it off my chest so here goes. My 16 yr old son ( dealing with D for 3 years) is in competitive basketball - his activity level is off the chart- at our last endo appt. his HBA1c was so low the MD was concerned he was hypoglycemic more than not. His insulins were adjusted ( not using pump) so to keep his BS up a bit more. He is very insulin sensitive when so active. My worry is.. he is very independent and private, does not nor ever has wanted diabetes to be attached to his name. He will not test ( only in front of a very few friends) or take insulin in public. Lately now I see him coming home from school, or a practice and jump right into eating dinner without testing his bs. I hand him his tester or give him a look or say something and he says" my bs is not going to rise in the 2 seconds I put the bread in my mouth!!" He is not careful with counting his carbs- will sit with a bag of chips and eat them and then give himself some insulin but it makes me crazy...?? how does he know what he is eating. He says" mom, we have been over this a million times". He goes by how he feels and can tell if he is high or low and then reaches for his tester. He tests probably about 2 or 3 times a day and never misses his insulin but this carefree attitude is making me nuts. His BB performance never suffers - he is a top athlete - so he doesn't believe me when I tell him his BB will be affected. Do I need to back off more?? I almost hate to go to these endo appts because I feel I don't know what the heck is going on- but he wants me to come and I am pretty vocal about what is going on and my concerns. Oh and another thing is.... diet... he eats anything - he won't even put sugarless syrup on his waffles anymore he justs takes more insulin to cover the carbs. ???? and the dietician seems to think this is ok -??? Wow, sorry this is so long... pent up emotion for sure.:confused:

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It should be fine for him to just cover the carbs. That is a fairly standard diabetes treatment. Is there any particular reason why you think that what he is doing isn't working? I mean, clearly a few more tests would be preferable, but it sounds like he is doing very well to me. Has he had any severe hypos?

3. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

Agreed, all that sounds pretty normal to me. I almost never use "sugar-free" versions of anything, I just give the appropriate amount of insulin for what I eat. Has someone made you think that's not appropriate?

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I struggle with this as well, my style of management and his are every different
    I want to approach things very scientifically and weigh the food, knowing exact carb counts, etc. he eyeballs and guesstimates. I prefer regular testing and he goes by gut and feel.

Truth is it is his disease to conquer and as much as it stresses me to see him willy nilly about it sometimes, he is actually very instinctual and his management works for him.

My advice to you is advice I need too...support and trust, verifying that the trust is earned. It's hard, but as long as he is not skipping blouses, a1c is good and he makes good decisions, it's best to leave him to manage in his own way.

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Besides being concerned about hypos because of his low A1C, does the endo address the lack of testing or giving insulin in public? Is he being told this is needed by the doctor? Does he test after he puts the bread in his mouth? How often is he testing a day?

Sorry so many questions. I'm just wondering is it's the timing of when he tests and gives insulin or if it's that he's not doing it at all? There certainly are people who do not pre-bolus and still are diligent in their management.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son's style of managing diabetes is different from mine. He doesn't precisely measure his food, but does a SWAG for the carbs. He is usually right. On some foods, he forgets how much a bowlful is in carbs and will run high. After a while I notice the pattern and question him on what he bolused. He now boluses differently.

I don't think my son talks to any of his friends at school about diabetes -- they must know because he tests at the lunch table and boluses there as well.

My son has to be reminded to test prior to meals at home -- nearly every time. He remembers when he is away from home. Teens have other things to think about. I will keep reminding him. This is quite common, so keep up your reminding.

Your son is not doing perfectly (as soon as he drives, there should be more test taken each day, or else no driving), but he is doing ok. Don't try to force your style on him -- especially when it comes to counting carbs. They do get pretty good at SWAGging.

7. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I think your endo is right to be concerned, especially since you say he is insulin-sensitive after activity and only testing 2 or 3 times a day. I think overnight tests are 100% necessary after activity and especially while going through puberty. (My DD is also very sensitive to insulin and exercise.) I hope you can find a way to get those overnight tests.

The not perfect carb-counting and testing after beginning to eat are typical for my DD also since she became a teen.

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I apologize. I missed he only tests a couple of times a day. Maybe he would benefit from talking to someone about dealing with his type 1 and feeling more confident - just within himself so he's not afraid of testing or administering insulin in public during meal time.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Sounds like a typical teenager.. As for the syrup.. I give my kids real syrup.. the fake/sugar free stuff probably has more carbs in it, and definitely more 'junk'.. I'd rather they just have the sugar and we bolus for it.

10. lonestar

lonestar New Member

Ok everyone,thanks for the advice. It goes against my grain to see how he is managing - I work in an acute care hospital and see the results of poor diabetes management every day so I think a lot of my fears stem from that. But that's the thing really, it's not my disease to manage. He is a great kid and we have a great relationship so I definitely don't want to upset that by micro managing. Have a great week everyone!:)

11. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Just wanted to add my teen manages the exact same way...and he is very well adjusted doesn't have a problem testing in front of his friends but still has a low A1C and eats crap food like it will never end.....I do my best in hoping that his numbers don't do too low and he says mom I'm fine...so I have to believe with my heart he knows that he knows what he is doing...

I say a prayer...and go on.