- advertisement -

Vent -Condescengin endo treats us like idiots

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2kids, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yep- like others have said - find a new endo...

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

I think you can make MDI work well, especially while honeymooning as at present.

But I also think you should be able to choose how your child gets their insulin, and if you think a pump would work better for your family then go for it.

This endo is no good. Drop him like a hot potato. Find someone else.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Fire the endo! We were on the pump 4 months after dx!

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

YES!
    YES! You pay him alot to help you care for your child. You shouldn't have to pay so much to come away feeling like you're feeling now.

Agreed!

I'm surprised to see that honeymooning is the reason he's giving. We are still honeymooning and our Endo has asked if we are ready for the pump twice now, at our last two visits. My son doesn't want one, but still it's nice to know we have that option and our endo is willing to train us and help us feel confident in how we treat my boy's D. You need to find an endo who will do just that, help you to feel confident about how you care for your child, not leave you feeling helpless and dependent.

5. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Funny you say this, the first endo we saw at "pre dx", everyone said the samething... we switched cause we didnt feel "the love" :p and we LOVE the endo we switched to!!! I have recommended her to a few people! So much for the first one, but to each his/her own! :p

6. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My thoughts exactly.

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

find another endo!!! He sounds like a real piece of work. Is he the only endocrinologist in the practice? Could you transfer over to another one?

8. sage68

sage68 Approved members

Most definitely change endo's! Iwasnt fond of our first endo when Elly was first dx but love the one we have now,and I travel just a bits we can see him. So worth it to me! We did have to jump through hoops to get Elly on a pump. We had to be MDI for a year and then go through a pump class as well as the entire family had to see a counselor to make sure we were "mentally" able to handle a pump (like MDI is so much easier mentally :rolleyes:). WithAnne though, we were pumping within 2 weeks of her dx and didn't had to jump through the hoops. I think they decided we knew what we were doing.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

My questions is, why ARE you waiting? Run don't walk to another endo.

10. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

So sorry you are going through this. Maybe post your area and someone here can give you a recommendation.

11. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

I take my son to Barbara Davis Center and LOVE it! They have treated us with kindeness and respect. They also helped me fight for a pump for my son when his daycare gave us issues about using it. Please feel free to pm me with any questions that you have regarding our experience with BDC. Also, our endo there is very pro pump.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  12. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Ditto on the Barbara Davis Center! I just thank my lucky stars we live close by!

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

That happens when you want what he wants--then you think he's the best! But if you want something else? What if you disagree? that's how you really tell who's the good, how they handle disagreements. Esp with D, when there are so many options. A good endo has to keep up on the latest stuff and offer it up with lots of info to patienst who want to try it. What if your endo insisted on not trusting those new fangled blood glucose meters b/c his patients do just fine testing urine and he's afraid ppl won't test themselves if they need to draw blood?!???

That said, many many many ppl do great on mdi and opt to stay with it. But everyone should research pumping and make an actual choice as to whether mdi or a pump is the best option for them.

14. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

OMG!!! :eek: Outrageous! You're a better person than I am - I would have been out of there so fast, and everyone around me would have known why.

15. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We used shots for 3 months before switching to the pump. After switching to the pump, lows were much less of a problem, and life with D became so much easier not having to measure and mix insulins in microdoses or deal with needles every time dd wanted to eat a snack.

The endo is wrong about the honeymoon: During the honeymoon, insulin needs can be very small and microdosing is needed (which a pump accomodates easily); During the honeymoon, basal needs can sometimes go to zero at any time of day (a pump can be switched off at any time, whereas a shot of long-acting can not be undone).

16. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

I have so been there! After our second 6 minute, $1500.00 visit with the one who is said to be the best where I live, I had had enough. I really wish my regular pediatrician would take over his care,we have a great relationship but he is not willing, I dont blame him with our litigous (sp?) culture.

I hope you are able to find a good one, soon. Start looking fast, if that is what your choose, it may take months to get in to a new one. ;)

17. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Couldn't agree more!

18. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

We got an insulin pump within 3 months of diagnosis and a cgms within 6 months. And Zakk is just now coming out of his honeymoon a year and half later.. Yes, I agree.. You definately need a new doc- Good Luck and hang in there.

19. momof2kids

momof2kids Approved members

YES - this is exactly why I think people SHOULD start the pump during the honeymoon if they are want to and are ready to learn about it. At least the honeymoon gives some cushion of insulin produced by the body if a site should go bad.

I also think it is much more likely for someone to forget a Lantus shot than for the pump to stop delivering basal.

20. caspi

caspi Approved members

Unless you have a cell phone with a daily alarm, that your children think is funny to constantly change the ringtone for. I can't even tell you what tonight's was - some funky rap tune they decided was funny for me to hear. :rolleyes::D

In all seriousness though, it sounds like you are ready to pump and I truly hope you are able to find an endo that you are comfortable with. :cwds: