- advertisement -

Vegetarian Diabetics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by livacreature, Oct 25, 2007.

1. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

Hi all. I was a vegetarian as a teenager, but switched over when I started college because the caf was to hard to manage and I fell into the trap of eating what was convinent. I am transitioning (well, not really, more cold turkey) back to being a vegetarian, because I feel it is the better decision for me personally. I don't like a lot of soy products, so my diet is strongly based in fresh fruits, veggies, beans, and whole grains (though probably not enough grains). I never do white flours and rarely do refined sugars. t like high fructose corn syrup, it upsets my stomach. I was wondering if there were any other diabetic veggies? I don't eat deep fried foods, and get my fats mostly from plant sources and olive oil. Some milk, but I only eat egg whites due to a weird fear of yolk. BTW, I find I eat less carbs without meat...weird how that works. Any one else?

2. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi,

We have vegetarians and vegans in my family but my son who is diabetic still likes his meat! I would think a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet would be a good fit with diabetes though, especially if you favoured the whole grains. Very heart-healthy too.

Vegan would be tough I think, at least for my son at this age when he's got a big appetite. A whole swathe of low-carb foods that are a great choice from him if he's high but hungry would be wiped out. Also, it's tough to eat vegan and cover all your nutrition needs without eating lots of soy.

You don't say if you're male or female, but women who don't drink much milk need to make sure they're getting enough calcium in their diet too. They say now that plenty of calcium when you're young is important in preventing osteoporosis when you're older.

Edit: Ah. I just noticed the pink one-touch mini in your signature, guessing you are in fact a girl. Not necessarily, and not that there's anything at all wrong with pink for men... just a hunch!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

My son has been vegetarian (not vegan) for 12+ years. He does consume soy products though. He made the decision to be vegetarian in 2nd grade. The rest of the family is not veg.

4. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

We're a vegie family, so my son is vegie (no fish or meat) and has been all his (short) life. We have no problems. Don't forget there are soya milks (and hemp milks depending on where you live) and the world of choice. We eat a load of lentils and beans etc. Have a look on allrecipes.com as there are some good vegie ones there to take ideas from. I've been a vegie 35 years (all my life) but married the son of a butcher. Makes for interesting christmas time! It can be done just with a little forethought. PM me if you want anything further.

PS the great thing is that a whole heap of fast food goes off the cards when you're a vegie - from a Mum's P.O.V this is a good thing!

5. 3js

3js Approved members

We were vegan until our son was 3, then we started having some dairy. We ate lots of soy products. My son drank fortified soymilk (and still does).

We all eat meat now, but my son doesn`t eat much meat though, and now has lost his taste for soy products other than soymilk.

So he eats a lot of pasta, grilled cheese sandwiches, pb sandwiches, cheese melted on crackers, homous and pita, raw veggies with dip, fruit,rice.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Vegan for eight years now, vegetarian for ten, so I don't really remember what it's like to be otherwise.
    What do you mean by diabetic veggies?
    I find that yeast (the stuff sold as nutritional is cheaper than the Brewer's) is great. It has a minimal effect on my blood sugar, has lotta protein, the vitamins depend on what it was fed on, but generally pretty good... highly recommend. I'm not remembering the carb infor on it right now, because I rarely eat such large quantities that it makes a difference, but they're easy to look up.

7. 3js

3js Approved members

I think she just meant vegetarian diabetics.

I "bread" firm tofu in redstar nutritional yeast after dipping it in soy sauce. Then I pan fry it. YUM!

I don`t have the carbs either, but I`ll look.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm here is the product.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/ca...M9MSZwYXI9JmtleT1udXRyaXRpb25hbCB5ZWFzdA.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  8. Karin

Karin Approved members

We are all vegetarian in this house. I have just started using a different product QUORN that is made out of "microprotein" which I guess is a fungi. It sounds weird, but in fact their products look and taste (as best I can remember from 20 years ago) like chicken or turkey. A serving has about 14 grams of protein and 5 grams of carbs. I find it in the organic freezer section at the regular grocery store. Here is the website http://www.quorn.com/.

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

We really enjoy the Quorn Chik'n Patties.

10. munsonklein

munsonklein Approved members

We're a lacto-ovo vegetarian family here. Sarah's been vegetarian for all of her 11 years. We don't do a whole lot of soy, especially Sarah, but she does like Morningstar Farms "bacon" and Soyboy's Tofu Lin (marinated, baked tofu- reminds me a bit of turkey). We do a lot of beans, cheese, nuts/peanuts and eggs for protein. We like Gardenburgers and Boca Burgers too. I was worried when Sarah was dx'd that the dr and dietician would not want her to continue to be a vegetarian, but they were actually really supportive of it.

Cathy