- advertisement -

Vegan - wondering if anyone else on the forums is also

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Ellen, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone else on these forums is vegan. I'm also gluten free but that's a separate subject.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Vegan for fourteen years here.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Vegetarian 20 years and vegan for the past 6 years.

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Are your family members also vegan? I'm the only one in my family.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

I was the only vegan I knew when I became vegan. I have some vegetarian family.

6. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I am the only vegan in our house. However, I do cook only vegan at home. All three kids were raised vegetarian, I switched to vegan 5 years ago. So they do still eat cheese pizza, ice cream. However, none have ever had dairy milk. Only one child eats meat if we are out at a restaurant. The other 2 are pretty much vegetarian.

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I was vegan/gluten free for about 2 years. It was very very challenging. A lot of my protein came from beans/legumes and over time my digestive system revolted. I now eat eggs, fish, a little cheese/dairy, but no other meat. My digestive system is much happier and it's much easier in settings away from home. It was just too hard to manage type 1, celiac and veganism away from home. As much as I think vegan on paper is the healthiest way to eat, I had to adjust for myself. I am fortunate that my husband and kids will eat anything and my kids don't like chicken or red meat.

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Has anyone made their own nut milk? I hate the added ingredients in the available processed milks - and it seems easy enough but haven't tried it. Wondering about your experiences.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Someone suggested I try vegan due to abdominal migraines, but I cannot since I'm supposed to be following a low fodmap diet. Talk about challenging. So, I'm on my own hybrid kind of diet. Tricky, but manageable.

Ellen, I know what you mean about all the added stuff in the milk. I use almond milk, but wish it didn't have all the extras in it.
    Here is a recipe I may try (once I have a kitchen again) that seems easy enough… http://www.thesweetbeet.com/almond-milk/

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

I have made soymilk myself, but not a nutmilk. I also like making beverages from other beans. I particularly like to get good black beans, soak a small amount of beans in a large amount of water overnight, cook them for a long time (in the water used for the soaking) and drink the water afterwards. The beans themselves I eat too, but I don't like them nearly as much.