- advertisement -

Vaccines

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommyofAx4, Jul 26, 2008.

1. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Just FYI...no vaccine is "mandatory" if you don't want your child to have it.
    I simply wrote a notarized letter to the school nurse that my 16 yr old was not getting the chicken pox, meningitis, or tetanus vaccines for next school year.

Period.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That depends on state law, and varies widely.

http://www.nvic.org/state-site/state-exemptions.htm

Here is the "official" CWD stance on whether vaccines cause type 1 diabetes:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_112.htm

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I remembered always hearing that about the milk also. my daughter was also breastfed until she was over 2 and she never had milk or formula. She has actually never drunk milk and didn't eat solid food until she was a year old so she had no dairy in infancy. I did read that there was never a study that connected early cows milk and diabetes.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

There are all kinds of studies connecting T1 to all kinds of things - yet nothing can be scientifically proven.

I just see it as another thing to make us T1 Parents think we in some way could have prevented this.

My DD hadn't had shots for 3 years.

5. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

I dont think any of us remember what it was like to live with these diseases the shots are protecting us from. I couldnt imagine having my son get some of these diseases which he is now protected from. Would you rather trade diabetes for something they are vaccinated against? I think people have the luxury now of not getting shots because most people do so there are not any outbreaks. I think diabetes is more diagnosed now because people know to look for it. In the 60's,even 70's- who would test a child for diabetes? Basically no one would- it was considered more an older person disease. I am thankful for the early diagnosis and my son can now live longer because of it.

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Amanda had all of her required immunizations up to 9 mos schedule because she was premature, she was getting them at 3, 6 and 9 mos..when she was diagnosed at 13 mos she didnt have the chicken pox one yet or the MMR one yet..She got those after diagnosis..

7. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Could vaccines be one of many triggers that start the autoimmune diseases like Type 1 - I believe it very well could be. My son had not received any shots and I don't recall him being sick either. When I found out I had Graves Disease (another autoimmune disease), I wasn't sick either, but my endo did say that if it didn't happen now, it probably would have happened when I had children that the stress would have caused it to "start up".

I believe there are lot's of "triggers" and we will not ever be able to pinpoint just one. I choose not to drive myself crazy looking backward but to look at the good things ahead of me.

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I wanted to add that by saying my son had vaccines shortly before being diagnosed - I still feel vaccines are important - and I don't think they "gave" him diabetes. I do believe they could have been a final trigger (one of more than one). I wouldn't want my son to get meningitis. So when my younger son heads off to college he'll be getting that vaccine as well. I won't be adding the tetanus at the same time though. Just because....

9. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

One of the first questions we were asked by our medical team when we were admitted to the hospital was had Em recently had any vaccines, specifically chicken pox, and/or if she was exposed to wild chicken pox (that we knew of) or had been around recently vaxed kids.

She was 6 at the time so at point here in Ontario that she could have been due for boosters for school compliance. I thought it was an interesting question.

I don't think there is much value in terms of looking back for a cause except (in my case) to try to do things a bit differently for siblings to help keep them healthier and perhaps reduce or delay trigger situations if possible.

Karen

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  10. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip hadn't had any vaccines for about 6 years. he had his last ones at 15 months and was nearly 8 when dxd. He also only ever had 2 at a time. I make sure my kids are vaccinated because I nearly died from measles when I was a kid. I'd rather have a kid with d than a kid who died from something preventable. As far as my dd with autism. She was showing a lot of autistic behaviours before any vaccines. It took us a few years to get a diagnosis for her, but I know autism was there from birth.
    Even the virus/serious illness thing doesn't apply to Phillip. He's never had a serious illness. Mild case of chicken pox at a year old (again years before d). DD who is non d has had a lot of illnesses and viruses, including severe chicken pox.

11. TimO

TimO Approved members

I agree with the previous poster who contends D has been around much longer than vaccines. In the big picture you've got to consider the alternative, and I couldn't live with the reality that my sons suffered or died because I didn't take a preventive measure to avoid a preventable disease. We may well have given him D by getting his vaccinations, but shot or no shot, he's had them, it's over and I can't do anything to reverse it.

12. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I often wonder if this did not trigger my sons diabetes. He had a bunch of shots...(three or four) in February of 2008. Almost a month later he was diagnosed.

He was telling me the shots made his body feel weird. I told him it was all in his mind, that the shots helped protect his body. Maybe he was right...and he knew it did something to his body.

13. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I know of a family with children who have been raised vegan since birth. They have never had cows milk. They still have a child with D.

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I thought we had called a moratorium on vaccine threads????

15. bflohockeymom

bflohockeymom Approved members

In our case, no. We actually went to the dr for a "well" check and I told her all my daughter's odd symptoms (drinking lots of milk, etc) and she said "don't let her drink that much milk. Give her water." HUH?! We were back 2 days later seeing a different dr and getting a much different opinion. My daughter *did* have a weird virus about 2 weeks before she started showing symptoms. She just had a fever, no other signs she was sick, for a day. Her brother had the same thing but so far, no D for him.

16. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Hey FrizzyRazzy, I thought this forum was for ALL parents of diabetic children to talk about anything they were concerned about. I think it is about fear for those who say we should freeze the vaccine discussion. I am not about to leave this wonderful and very beneficial website, so for those of you who can't talk about the vaccine issue, well make some room for us who do.

I find this discussion very interesting and I applaud all the posters who were able to open up to talk openly about this issue.

17. frizzyrazzy

There's no fear. It's just that every few months we have a vaccine thread. The vaccine thread gets heated. People get pissed off. People start pm 'ing each other behind the scenes. People start saying nasty things to each other. It disrupts the natural kindness and goodness of this forum.

Nothing good ever comes from a vaccine thread HERE. There are tons of forums on the web where people enjoy talking about vaccines. This forum is for talking about diabetes. The official stance of CWD has already been stated:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_112.htm

18. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I'm thinking this thread can stay and be talked about in a respectful manner. It's diabetes related for sure (perceived or real). There are lots of threads that are brought up multiple times and there are newbies all the time.

Frizzyrazzy, with respect, maybe for you there's not good in this thread, but for someone else there can be. I'm actually a vaccine advocate here as I feel they save lives.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
    Karenwith4 likes this.
  19. frizzyrazzy