- advertisement -

Vacation pump now $$

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheTestingMom, Jul 3, 2013.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I always have Lantus in the fridge. But it's a half hour, forty five minutes to the nearest 24 pharmacies, both in areas I'm not terribly familiar with and one is in a sketchy area. I'd much rather just have it on hand. HOWEVER I realize that I'm lucky in that we don't have copays for most D supplies including insulin so it's not a big deal to have it on hand.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We had backup Lantus that we would take on trips, we did an Alaska Cruise a few years ago and that was our Plan B. It's now expired and until we go on another trip we don't have any on hand.

We do have the old pods we can use if needed. If we do go somewhere remote I'll get a back up again. Figured I might as well wait so the expiration will be further out.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That's what we did a while back, she'd do the same for us:cwds:

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Levimere always on hand. We do untethered in the summer, so we usually always have at least one pen left over. The one time our pump did go completely kaplooy was the one time we didn't have Lev in the fridge, so I make sure to always have it now. It's only a $20 co-pay, so I figure this, much like the $$$ for the loaner, is good insurance.

5. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Whoa, Not the responses I expecting, now I'm sorry I posted.

So here are the (embarrassing) details.....Our vacation is a gift, gift we couldn't afford in any way shape or form if it wasn't a gift. We don't have a lot of spending money, my husband will be working a few days of our vacation to help earn spending money. Our gift giver is paying for airline tickets for the three of us, and pretty much 99% of everything else....our entertainment, food, housing, fishing, etc. Like I said it's embarrassing to me, almost to the point that I considered not going. So yea, an extra $50.00 could make or break our trip.

Since everyone asked (Ha!)....My son's diabetes clinic gave us back up Levimir pens, vials of Humalog with a Humalog pen and a few extra insets.
    We ♥ them so much!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When you are the OP it seems like every post is directed at you, but after a while a thread takes on a more general, hypothetical exchange that is really no longer linked to the specific OP.

At the same time, you have to admit that to the reader it's a bit of a conflict, without knowing the whole story, to hear of someone taking a vacation to Alaska and in the same breath indicating that a $50 deposit on a pump is excessive.

Hope it's a great vacation and that you don't even need to unpack the pens.:cwds:

7. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I agree with above poster. Without the whole story upfront people get a little confused.

8. kyle and ryans mom

kyle and ryans mom Approved members

Don't be embarrassed, I can't even afford a trip to the beach unless someone else paid for it. Have a great time!

9. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Don't there are a lot if on here who are lucky to have basics. Go enjoy your trip. We were given a trip to Canada this year. We had no money to cover any extras. We went it was a blessing so go have fun and enjoy the good memories.

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

just wanted to second this... most of my life my 'vacations' have been camping trips or driving to my grandparents for the weekend (and there is nothing wrong with that!)

As for the whole loaner pump thing I've never done it, even when leaving the country... it was always to much of a hassle and I was worried we'd lose it or it would be stolen.