- advertisement -

using the arm as a pump site?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VikkiMum, Jan 23, 2013.

1. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

Hi,
    My daughter is 7. She's slim and quite muscular as she loves sport but also feels the need to run, hop & skip everywhere!! She has enough fat on her bottom and hip area for her pump sites but when I last saw the consultant she said I would need to use a different area for a while as this area is raised slightly. Her thighs are very muscular so I'm not keen to use them. The last time we used her tummy she cried (about a year ago) but amazingly she says she's willing to try her tummy again. I've looked at her tummy and I guess there may be slightly more fat there than a year ago. But I want to ask you about the arms? We live in Scotland and we seem to be quite a bit behind you guys with diabetes care, in fact I come to this forum for all advice and it's usually better than my medical teams advice! Anyway, we use her arms for the CGM sensor. When we told the team here we would be using her arm for the sensor they weren't keen but we went ahead anyway and this is proving to be excellent. But when I asked about using her arm as a pump site they were really shocked and couldn't believe I would even consider such a thing! I know I usually go with what I feel is right but because of their utter shock reaction I'm feeling a bit nervous about giving it a go. Do you use arms? Is it ok to do this? How is it? Does the tubing get tangled up? Is it quite routine for you guys to be using he arms as a site.
    I'd appreciate your views on this!
    Thanks
    Vikki

2. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

I recently took a class on pumping as my son will be getting the Omnipod soon. As far as I was told, anywhere that you would give an insulin shot is ok to use as a pumping site (tummy, right above the butt, the outer part of the leg toward the back or 'flanks' as my endo calls them, as well as the back of the arms). I can't speak for using a tubed insulin pump because the one we're getting is tubeless, but as far as the arms being used for a site, we were told it was just fine.

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've always used, my arms for pump sites, as well as my legs, butt, hip and belly! I'm a huge believer in constant rotation. I would imagine for those who cgm, it would be more important to rotate. My CDE and MM salesperson, both use these spots, they also cgm, and use all but the legs for that.

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We've used the arm, and it works well for my son. The tubing is a little bit of a pain, though, so we tend to leave it alone.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

I noticed at D-camp that most of the teen staff wear their sites on their arms. The girls especially since they always have a top on ;) , the boys not as much since they take their shirts off in the summer and then it doesn't work. But in the winter when we've been around the same kids, they all use their arms.

6. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

You can most definitely use the arm! Arm sites are one of my favorite, in fact, my current one is on my arm.

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I use the arms=) but since going on the cgm I don't use them cause thats where my sensor sits...

8. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlie prefers to use arm and butt but we have also had to add another area to the rotation. We now do leg sites, too. We use angled sites for the legs. The endo told us not to use his stomach because he is too thin.

9. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

We also use the arms quite a bit. My son was hestitant to try it at first but that is his favorite spot now. We only use the back of the arm and I position the site so it plugs in from the top. Then the tubing goes up a little and then down his back/side to his pump - all the tubing is under his shirt. Even with short sleeves the site is covered most of the time. The only time you see it is in the summer when he might be wearing a tank top. Since the tubing is all under his shirt and there is no extra hanging out anywhere we have less problems with the site getting tugged or pulled out.

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Just thread the tubing down the shirt hole so the tubing is underneath the shirt. Arm sites work great! :):)

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use arms for sites all the time, and actually, at our last endo visit were told we use them too much and to take a break:( The arms got a bit puffy from overuse. That being said, as soon as we can, we will put them back into rotation. It is my daughters favorite spot for site placement. Reason is that it's easy for her to get to and she finds that it's one of the more comfortable spots for her. We run tubing down the shirt to avoid any tugging.

12. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

Wow! Thank you so much for your replies. That's a great help. We will give it a go!
    X