- advertisement -

Using Omnipod "cut the Cord" program?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jkrjk, Mar 15, 2014.

1. jkrjk

jkrjk Approved members

So my daughter is wanting an omnipod and we are just waiting on insurance quotes to come back before we purchase. I am wondering about the "Cut the Cord" program that they offer. They are currently running this special and it goes through march. I have read previous posts where people bought different pumps through their insurance first, then got the pod through this incentive- so they have 2 pumps to go back and forth with. She really wants the pod, and I understand this is not the intention of the program, but it is a way to get 2 pumps for a good deal. Has anyone done this? Also, this is our first pump… how many people actually own and use 2 pumps?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have a tubed pump and did Cut the Cord. We've only used the Pod for a week when our tubed pump died, but our experience with it was bad enough that I would never want it to be our only pump. If you've got an extra $199, it's a no-brainer, in my opinion.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter was still in warranty on her Medtronic pump but wasn't using it so we got her OmniPod through Cut the Cord last spring. We switched to T:Slim in the fall. Technically, she has three useable pumps. We kept the Medtronic and three boxes of all supplies - old but I'd be willing to pull it out in an emergency. We have The OmniPod PDM and a three month supply of pods - this is the one I consider as the back-up pump for both kids. And she has the T:Slim that she is using now.

My son's pump was just a regular purchase as his primary pump.

I hate the OmniPod. Really and truly. But...I will probably stick it on DD this summer when we are at the beach and other heavy swimming weeks. It's just too convenient to not use it. And my son is okay with using it, so even though I hate it...I will admit that it's a nice 'bonus' pump to have.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have 2 pumps! I got the Omnipod through cut the cord a few years ago and my medtronic pumps have always been paid for by insurance.

I switch back and forth. During the summer I use the pods all the time for waterskiing and tubing. But I prefer a lot of things about the tubed pump so I use it most of the time when it is not summer. The pods and infusion sets both go through insurance and we just have a flat copay for those. We have the prescriptions written for more sets/pods than I use so we keep a good supply of both and just fill the prescriptions as needed. It is a lot less confusing than it sounds. My endo thinks I am crazy but it works great for me. I have enough problems with the pods that I would never be comfortable having them as my only option. But there are some situations in which they make the most sense so I like having the option to switch back and forth!

I just can't imagine getting the omnipod through insurance rather than cut the cord and being locked in for 4 years. It just makes a lot more sense to me to have both the pods and a tubed pump.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter has both a Medtronic pump and an Omnipod through Cut-the-Cord. We would do the same again. She likes the pod in the summer but not in the winter. It's failures wear at her, and she likes to switch between them. We've also had a Medtronic failure that would have been nice to use the pod rather than shots, had we had it then.

Our insurance won't cover the pods since they approved the Medtronic pump, but we get them through our prescription plan.

6. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I am getting to ready to do this exact thing...or try to anyway. DD really wants an Omnipod, but I don't want to get it, then hate it and not be able to get another pump. I think I am going to go with the Animas only because they will be the first to come out with integrated Dexcom and then I should be able to cheaply upgrade. Then I want to get an OmniPod through Cut the Cord so we can have that as an option as well.

7. jkrjk

jkrjk Approved members

So do you mean that animas is coming out with a cgm and pump in one system using one site? The medtronic already has the built in CGM using 2 sites, right? All of this is so confusing… ha

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Animas already has a pump that incorporates Dexcom - the Vibe.. not one site though, 2 the same as Medtronic.

9. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

The Animas Vibe isn't available in the US yet, though, is it? We are hoping to get my son on Dexcom G4 very soon, and thought we would go with the Animas Ping and then upgrade when the Vibe became available.

10. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

It's not approved in the U.S. yet with the CGM integrated. I would prefer to stay with Dexcom, which is why I won't go with Medtronic.

11. parker

parker New Member

I just spoke to animas and the vibe is only approved for over the age of 18. We have the Ping and the Dexcom for my daughter already but would like the vibe to join them together. Anyone know if its possible to get around the 18 year old restriction? My daughter is 11.