- advertisement -

using Navigator sensors past expiration date

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by sweetpea, Jan 31, 2009.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Approved members

I asked this back in October but didn't get any responses. I am hoping that now with more people using the Navigator, someone knows if the sensors are accurate after the expiration date. We have been using each sensor 14 days. We put in a new one every other Saturday. Avoiding the calibration issues on school days, and my dd's dislike of the insertion, was the motivation for the 14 day schedule and it has worked very well for us. Right now we have 2 boxes of senors that will expire at the end of February. They will actually last us 6 months if we keep going as we have. I hate to increase our expense and poke her more often if the senors will continue to be accurate. Thanks for your help.

2. Diana

Diana Approved members

We haven't run into this yet, but I have heard of other people using expired sensors successfully. Seems like I heard someone recently say their son was using sensors that expired in September with no obvious problems.

3. Zac's Mom

Zac's Mom Approved members

4. sweetpea

sweetpea Approved members

Thank you. We will continue on unless we see a problem. I think our experience has often been that restarted sensors work better. Last night we put in a new one and have been asked to recalibtate every 2 hours--1am, 3am, 5am, 7am and next one due at 9am. She had breakfast at 7 so the next calibration may be a problem, but the first 4 should have taken. This is why we avoid new sensor start-up on school days. We had this problem twice before and had to calibrate every 2 hours for the first 12 hours then the sensor worked fine for 14 days.

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

We usually have it the opposite way - we are more likely to need extra calibrations on the restarts.

6. cwdAdmin

cwdAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Lots of threads about sensor expiration

Sharing experiences is an important part of the CWD community, and we love to see members helping and supporting each other.

One benefit of being part of CWD is seeing a variety of perspectives and deciding what is right for you/your family.

We also want everyone to be safe, and in our relationships with industry partners know that there are science-based reasons behind setting expiration dates.

Please be informed--and safe--in your use of diabetes products, and thanks for keeping up the great discussions! :cwds:

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Would it be possible to get any data from the industry partners regarding the reasons behind the 3-day sensor life specifications?
    • Is is just because 3 days was chosen for the FDA test?
    • Was the 3 days based on the insulin pump site life? (CGM's don't deliver insulin)
    • Have longer lifetimes ever been tested? Is there any evidence they are a problem?
    • How long are other cannula-like devices kept inserted in the body (such as a PIC line) and what is the experience with that?
    It would also be nice to know if there have been long term studies of puncturing the skin every 3 days vs. every 7 days, in terms of the number of "holes" that scar the skin. Perhaps it is much safer to insert once every 7 or 14 days, then every 3 days? Have there been any studies about that?

And at $35 per sensor, are the CGM companies motivated to explore if longer lifetimes might actually be beneficial?