- advertisement -

using lantus and the pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pr39, Sep 4, 2009.

  1. pr39

    pr39 Approved members

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Messages:
    6
    Hi, I am considering following our endo's suggestion of giving my daughter
    half her basal dose as a lantus injection. This is because she is involved in
    lengthy activities that she insists on taking her pump off for, but then she
    rarely reattaches for boluses during this time. Does any one have any
    experience with this? And does anyone know if emla will make the lantus
    not sting. She's complained from previous use that it stings when she uses
    it. Any feedback will be appreciated thank you.
     
  2. Becky Stevens mom

    Becky Stevens mom Approved members

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Messages:
    8,719
    My son has never complained of stinging with the lantus. Do you use it at room temp? also do you use her tush? I go very slowly when injecting the lantus. My friends daughter is on lantus and the pump. She uses approx 60% lantus for basal then the rest 40% basal throught the pump plus boluses from the pump as well.
     
  3. pr39

    pr39 Approved members

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Messages:
    6
    Thanks for the reply. It has been alot of years since we used Lantus but
    I know we always used the tush, I can't remember about room temp, She
    always injected it herself so I don't know how fast she injected it. If we
    decide to try this I will these things in mind. Thanks.
     
  4. GAmom

    GAmom Approved members

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Messages:
    787
    my dd never had a problem w/ lantus stinging. she injected in her thigh and we kept the lantus out (not refrigerated).
    You may want to try numbing w/an ice cube first.
    good luck:)
     
  5. Charliesmom

    Charliesmom Approved members

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    Messages:
    1,472
    Charlie hated the Lantus shot and we had decided if the pump didn't work out and we had to stick with MDI that we would switch to Levimer. We had tried it in the past and Charlie had no problem with it except he would have had to take 2 shots.
    Have you considered going all the way untethered? Using a shot for all the basal and bolusing for carbs through the pump?
     
  6. Ivan's Mum

    Ivan's Mum Approved members

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Messages:
    917
    don't know if it helps but we use a site that allows us to flush the lantus down by bolusing for a meal - has to be a bigger bolus that 2.5u. We're using the rapid D but I think, if you were looking at getting up close and personal you could inject in to the site at skin level.

    My son hates injections and this has worked out wonderfully. THere is no problem mixing the lantus and novo BTW. We do 100% untethered and the joy of the lantus going down the site is that it doesn't sting because the skin is already numb. He too complained about stinging when we inject separetly.

    Hit me back if you need more info.
     
  7. joan

    joan Approved members

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Messages:
    790
    My son uses lantus and the pump . The lantus does sting sometimes and Levimer might be a better choice for your daughter As for using both it works out great for him. He takes >90% basal in the lantus so he can remove his pump freely and not worry about reconnecting. We also use to have issues with the pump coming out at night and waking with highs#'s and ketones. Now he takes his pump off to sleep. He hated the pump before because he felt like his life depended on it and being very active was always worrying "where is my pump?" He is much happier this way.
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice