- advertisement -

using insulin in reservoir?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by skyleysmom, Feb 8, 2010.

1. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

I seem to remember some threads in the past on what supplies people take with them in the D bag. I remember some pumpers saying that they bring syringes but not extra insulin because they can use the insulin that is in the pumps reservoir. I, for the life of me cannot figure out how to draw insulin out of the reservoir with a syringe. Did I imagine that people said this or is there some trick to drawing it out that I am not getting? Riley's pumping with the MM 722.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I've never had to actually do it. But you should be able to disconnect the tubing from the reseveroir and pull it from there.. I would clean with an alcohol wipe, if you have one so you don't introduce bacteria into the reseveroir.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. You'd just stick a syringe into the top of the reservoir, right where the needle from the tubing cap attaches.

4. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Remove the tubing cap & insert syringe into the top of the resevoir. You can see where the tubing cap taps into the resevoir. It's rubberized like the top of an insulin vial on the top of the resevoir in that spot.

We had to do that one time in a grocery store--failed site and I didn't want her to have no insulin while I drove home. I gave her a shot, finished shopping, then went home and changed out the failed site.

5. skyleysmom

I can't get the syringe in there! the hole is so small and the rubber is thick and the syringe bends :confused:

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

HHhmmm, we haven't have a problem with it! But, it is importnat to remember to reprime afterward!

7. skyleysmom

Okay, I just experimented with an old reservoir that still had about 30 units of insulin in it and I did it! But before that I tried with another that had less insulin and it didn't work. Maybe I was so shaken up the few times I needed it I couldn't get the sharp in that little hole. Or maybe I wasn't wearing my glasses. :rolleyes:

8. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I would just try again with a new syringe. Insert the syringe slowly and aim for the middle of the rubber part.

9. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

I had to get a thicker gauge needle to get through ours.. the normal syringe we use to give shots would only bend.

10. skyleysmom

Maybe that's what our problem is/was. Our syringes are 31g.