- advertisement -

Use unconnected pump to track IOB/calculations for MDI?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by SPICYSMOM, Jan 16, 2011.

1. SPICYSMOM

SPICYSMOM Approved members

I have the One Touch ping pump and meter. Having to move to MDI for insurance reasons.

I think if I leave an old empty cartridge in the pump to confuse the pump (but with no infusion set attached) and set the basal rate to zero I could have the BG input, put in my carbs, and have the pump calculate the IOB or BOB and tell me how much to take. I could then adjust it according to the 1/2 unit pen I am going to get. I will be able to download reports for my diabetic educator and diabetic nurse appointments.

I also posted this on the pump forum.

Thanks,

2. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Stacy

Wait... can't be reading you right, am I?

With an empty cartridge won't you get severe (sic. like a nuclear blast siren) alarms every single moment? My minimed did that when there WAS insulin in the tubing, but magicly was not dripping (supposedly) into me.

DELIVERY ERROR, DELIVERY ERROR...:mad:

In theory I love your idea, if it can work. We used a different approach coming off the pump.

Added up all the basal units. Pattern in a 24 hour period was straight 1 unit per hour. Switched out the rapid acting for the long acting. Worked very well. But was scared doing it even though it had only been a year +/-. Silly me, lost confidence in myself. Silly, silly me. Regardless whatever long acting you get (love lantus myself) they'll likely come in low, probably real low with the initial dosage (probably?). So as with any of us, if its high a day or two, on day three, you up the long acting a unit or two. See where that puts you. Repeat until you're numbers a tolerably decent with no short-acting in the formula-equasion.

You'll be back to normal quickly... no more tubing :D

3. CWD Moderator

CWD Moderator Moderator

For safety reasons, CWD recommends that you follow the manufacturer's approved indications for use of the OneTouch Ping which are developed based on scientific study. You should discuss any other use with your healthcare provider.

4. FatCatAnna \\^^//

FatCatAnna \\^^// Approved members

I went off pump for six months last year ...

just to get back to my roots - as I'd been pumping for almost 2 years - and didn't want to forget how to mange my diabetes with MDI (Lantus / Novorapid). You'll find with having been on a pump - the transition will be much easier then the other way around (well - for me going onto the pump after 40 years of MDI was a scary thing - relearning how to manage diabetes when you think about it).

I am really bad at keeping written logs - so had to be abit better at this with
    MDI - in order to remember IOB, etc. Because I'd always carb counted before - it was easy to do it in my head.

So, no is the answer to not using my pump for calculations - used the old sponge brain. I hope to do MDI on a yearly basis - since I'm not sure how long I can afford to stay on the pump (work health insurance covers pump right now - but that ends in about 6 years).

The insulin pump though really does make life way easier for controlling our lives with the D! Here's one of my blogs I wrote with missing Salvador - the name of my Animas 2020 (I'm a kid at heart - what can I say?)