- advertisement -

USA's Freeman has blood sugar crash in cross-country pursuit

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by Ellen, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I was wondering what happened to him.. I was really rooting for him.. to bad something he has absolutely NO control over had to take him out. I'm glad he finished the race when he felt better.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

I find that surprising. I talked to a CDE who worked with a few athletes who said they were more prone to high BS during competition, probably due to adrenalin. Low during training but high on race day. It just goes to show you that even adults who aggressively train and have to be very mindful of their D can either make a mistake or merely have "random crap" happen.

With diabetes ... random crap happens.

4. Toni

Toni Banned

I read that he controls his highs by ramping up the basal to 5 units an hour? :eek:Swear I saw that on his blog. So sorry this had to happen to him during such an important race. I cannot even imagine the difficulty these extreme athletes have controlling BS with Type 1. It is an incredibly difficult undertaking.