- advertisement -

URGENT: Novolog instead of Lantus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Illinifan, Sep 8, 2008.

1. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

Wow - 16 pages of posts in less than 24 hours. CWD rocks!

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Good job!!!

One thing you didn't mention - make sure you tell him that you are proud of him for TELLING YOU that he made a mistake. That was the most valuable thing that happened last night. Otherwise he would have crashed and you wouldn't have known why and would not have gotten the jump on the carbs that he needed as early as you did.

So tell him that despite the mistake (and we've all made them) that you are proud that he told you!!!! And all of CWD is proud that he owned up to the goof.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Couldn't agree more :D

5. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

WOW. I just got to this thread, too. You guys are totally awesome. I'm so glad everything's okay, and I hope you took your boss up on his suggestion and slept it off!

6. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

That's awesome of you!! You're one of the good guys!! :)

I think you're account touched us all today, if I would have read that last night, I probably would have gone sleepless too. Yes we've all 'done it', but I don't think I've heard of anybody needing to go to the extent of having to consume a whole jar of jam and thensome. And I agree with the above, commend Zack for not hesitating on telling you, it was very heroic of him to do so.

One thing that came in my mind today is split dose. Alot of people do it because it has its advantages. I don't think this would have been considered an advantage until now. If he were on split dose, he would have only given himself 15 units and thus only have needed to eat 300g of carbs instead. Does suck to need one more needle per day though.

And finally, I think our fellow CWD FATHER, needs to be commended for taking charge last night and doing a great job! Way to go bro!! Everybody cheer!!

7. hurrayupmom

hurrayupmom Approved members

Brian, good job to you and your son for getting thru the night. Just read this post this afternoon. You are remarkable in not panicing. I would of "freaked" . Good job to all of you "Jacob's dad--you rocked last night" that stayed up and gave Brian much need support. Again CWD to the rescue. Love it here.

I am going to relate this story to Tori. We use the Novolog pen, but things happen.

8. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

Wow, just popped in and saw a 16 page thread and feared the worst.........

Great job Dad!! That must have a been a scary night!

9. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

I thought I should revisit this thread 24 hours later and let all of you know how the rest of the day turned out.

Zach went to school at the normal time with his brother. His stomach was still a little out of sorts so he did not eat breakfast, but he took extra snacks and his normal complement of juice boxes. He texted me a couple of times during the day and his blood sugar ran in the 160s to 180s in the morning an was 222 at lunch and he said he felt "fine". I called him at 3:45pm, just before show choir rehearsal started, and he had dropped to 49. He ate a snack and drank some juice and went on with his life. He was 180something at dinner time and then 220 when he took his Lantus (!) at 9:30pm. I just checked him and he was at 240 so I corrected it and his mom will check him at 3am.

We are apparently back on the normal D roller coaster.

I did come home this afternoon and slept for 2 hours. It made me feel better, but I'm gonna sleep hard between midnight and the 5am check.

Again, thank all of you for your concern and prayers. It's nice to have a place to share these experiences.

10. Illinifan

Besides that, it's my thread and I want to kill it! :rolleyes:

11. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

My only comment would be......we use Levemir pen, as opposed to the NPH and Humolog that he also takes which is in vial format. It just occurred to me that it's helpful for them to be different...glad your boy is doing better! I was glued to this thread last night as well :)

12. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I know you wanted to kill this thread, but you'll have to try again. Just now was the first time I saw this thread and can i just say ... Hoooooollllyyyyyy Craaaaapppp!!! :eek: I am so completely amazed that you kept your cool and did such a great job checking on him and managing this crisis. You had a lot of good helpers here and received some invaluable advice. You really did quite an admirable job of "keeping your kid alive" and I hope you are proud of yourself! :D Great job Brian!

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

you're not going to let Heidi kill this thread? are you??

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Just seeing this thread... Wow. Brian, great job.

15. Illinifan

Cue the semi obscure cultural reference that only people over 40 will get:

"And I walked in, I sat down, they gave me a piece of paper that said: "Kid, see the psychiatrist in room 604."

I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I wanna kill. I wanna kill! I wanna see blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth! Eat dead, burnt bodies! I mean: Kill. Kill!"

And I started jumpin' up and down, yellin' "KILL! KILL!" and he started jumpin' up and down with me, and we was both jumpin' up and down, yellin', "KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL!" and the sergeant came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said "You're our boy"."

16. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

I'm 44. And I'm scratching my head.

17. Illinifan

I'm going to give this one some time. Somebody out there will recognize it. Then once the answer is revealed, it'll take about 20 minutes for anyone who doesn't know it to fully understand what the speaker is rallying against. :cool:

18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Is this "Alice's Restaurant" (Arlo Guthrie)?

19. Illinifan

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

For those of you who are still wondering "Who? What?", here's a link to a much older Arlo performing his classic song: Alice's Restaurant

20. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

You can get anything you want...

Of course I know it... it's my name! lol...