- advertisement -

URGENT: Novolog instead of Lantus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Illinifan, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Tau1061

Tau1061 Approved members

I'd probably do the Lantus now considering it's now 5hrs past his normal Lantus dose time... and @ 5 hrs, the Novo should be fizzled out by now. You're back on basal... and there's none there.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Brian, I know you are probably sleeping, just wanted to say, you did an awesome job.. you didn't panic (like the rest of us did).. I would have been out the door and to the hospital.. I bet it scared the !@$%$ out of your son too! Definitely get something to color code those vials! I hope you managed to get SOME sleep.. it sounds like your son did..

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

You all are amazing - and CWD is the BEST Web site on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cwds::cwds::cwds::cwds:

4. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Sorry I didn't officially sign off last night and left everyone hanging, but I did fall asleep in the chair after 3:00 so I just headed to bed and set my alarm clock.

Now I have the aftermath of the storm...

Zach's blood sugar steadily rose all night last night reaching a high of 365 at 5:45am. I was scared to give him any Novolog until then and then I only gave him 2/3 of what his correction factor said he should have.

I have not given him any Lantus yet. His BG right now is 165.

Last night, his endo told me to skip the Lantus until his next regular dose.

He's already said he's going to check every hour, but what do we do about Novolog doses today?

This ought to be covered during the hospital stay at dx. Written out and filed away until needed.

5. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Wow! Just read all of this this morning! So glad that he never crashed!! You did a great job staying calm and checking so often!

I'm no expert, but since he doesn't have Lantus I would definitely be using the Novolog to cover the highs he will probably have all day. Hopefully your endo or someone here will have more expert advice.

6. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I'm in awe of you guys. ;)

30 units of insulin for me is three DAYS worth, and I would have probably freaked more than what is humanly possible. Good job staying cool.

The advice that I had gotten for when there is a pump malfunction (and no basal for the day) is to continue checking hourly, and correct by injection with whatever amount corresponds to four hours of basal, or the length of DIA. For example, when I was on the pump, my basal was .075/hour. So that means I would have taken an injection of around .5 unit every four hours to cover my basal needs, in addition to whatever injections I would need for boluses.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wow!

OMG!

And you did amazing!

8. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

ThankGod he realized his mistake.

9. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Brian, I am so glad everything worked out! Good job! Just curious though, did mom know any of this was going on??????

10. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I just finished reading all of this right now. OMG!!! That's so scary! Let me see what I can remember.

After 30 units of Novo, I would have been nervous about giving the Lantus and probably would have held off too and rely on corrections for the day.

Didn't care too much about the football, but Sarah Connor was awesome last night! I had almost missed it but glad I decided to channel surf when it started! Awesome Awesome show!!!

600 carbs, my first thought would have been a plate of nachos which goes over 100... but OMG (I seem to be saying that alot this post) 600g that must have been gross!! Get the boy to run a marathon today to burn all those extra calories!! :) Maybe not a marathon, maybe clean the house and take out the garbage. :)

I hope he is ok today. Take care!

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Well all's well that ends well. I'm at work on about 3 hours of sleep. I'm not complaining though, it's all right. I just couldn't pack it in last night until I knew everything was going to be OK.:cwds:

12. Illinifan

Thanks for all the encouraging words. Some reflections on the night.

1. This was a Dad only event last night. My wife had a presentation at 8am in Cincy today which is an hour's drive from home. Other to wake up and yell at us that we were making too much noise in the kitchen while we were gathering enough food to try to get to 600 carbs, she didn't participate.

2. Too many people told me that they have either done this or know someone who has. I should have been able to refer to something his endo provided me. This is a more common mistake than I realized. Anybody on MDI should receive training for this situation.

3. If you are going to do this, pick a Monday night when there are two NFL games.

4. Summer Glau is one of my favorite young actresses. I watched SCC this summer and then discovered Firefly on DVD. Being a classically trained ballerina really prepares you to play kick@$$ characters. I don't know how long they can prevent Judgment Day from happening, but I'll be watching.

5. Even though your endo gives you her beeper, cell phone and home phone numbers and says "Call me if there is a crisis", it still annoys her when you wake her up at 11pm.

6. Even though we all like sweets, if you have to consume massive quantities of them, it gets old quick.

7. 17 year old boys can sleep through anything and ask "What are you guys talking about?" while the rest of us are trying to figure out the plan for the day.

8. Panic is overrated.

9. Stress is wonderful pep me up, but the hollowed out zoned feeling afterwards isn't worth it.

10. CWD rocks.

11. Most importantly, God still answers prayer.

13. Illinifan

Dude, I didn't realize that you were staying up just for Zach and me.

Wow. Thanks. Sorry you're dragging on my account.

14. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

Wow! Really liked your summary of the nights happenings. They really should do some training on this at diagnosis. You did wonderfully well at not panicking. I would have rushed to the hospital!
    Hope there is no problems with the afterschool activities as a result of the night!

15. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Job well done Dad!!

16. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I just got my training. Never understood before how to do glucagon. Looking at the little charts, etc., nothing stuck. Amazing how adrenaline (even borrowed adrenaline from reading your posts) can make something clear and stick it in the brain. Also, didn't realize they could do a glucose drip in the ambulance, that's useful info. How much do I owe you?

17. Boo

Boo Approved members

I'm glad to hear that he made it through the night okay. It's like a soap opera reading through this whole thread. Hard to keep it in perspective that it's a REAL person. This is a big nightmare scenario for a lot of us parents on this site. Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree, it unfortunately is a rather common mistake. It makes me wonder how often it is done (on a smaller scale) by accident without realization. Just an unexplained stubborn low...I guess that's one advantage of pumping!

Keep a close eye on him today. :p oh...and try to catch a nap!

18. Illinifan

My boss just came by my cubicle. We have a mandatory all-hands meeting at lunch (the company's buying!). He told me that I was not to return to my desk afterwards and that I was to head home and sleep the rest of the afternoon.

19. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

So it doesn't happen again!!

Please please please get some insulin sleeves that are color coordinated, and please print in great big letters LANTUS and NOVOLOG on the sleeves. After doing this, I never made this mistake while on MDI. I almost made the mistake twice before that, but I caught myself. Phew!!

I'm glad and relieved that this had a happy ending. Great job dad!:)

20. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just saw this thread:eek: OMG, I would've panicked for sure.

High-fiving you for a great job in handling the situation and kudos to all that encouraged you here. This place is great.