- advertisement -

URGENT: Novolog instead of Lantus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Illinifan, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Ok. I've seen threads that said other people have done this, but the boy genius just gave himself 30 units of Novolog instead of Lantus. He's already got 70 carbs in him and just came in with cookies in his hand.

I figure I'm in for a long night.

Do I have him take the Lantus? When?

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Yes you're in for a long night(I'd guess 4-5 hours minimum)! But do call your endo re the Lantus, I'd assume a reduced dose, but have no idea!

3. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

How many carbs will 30 units normally cover? What's his ICR?

4. Illinifan

His ICR to ratio is 1 to 20. My math tells me that's 600 carbs worth of Novolg.

I'm on my way to call the endo on call folks now.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

WOW.. his usuall ratio is 1:20, and he gave himself 30 UNITS?? So he needs 600carbs???? is that right?

how long has it been since the novolog was given?

6. twodoor2

Ooops, that means he has to consume 20 x 30 or 600 carbs to match that amount of insulin. I think a glucagon might be in order here. You should call the endo immediately.

ETA: I probably would not give the Lantus at this time, but see what your endo says.

7. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Oh my gosh I have done that too. I hope he is hungry. I hope you get a hold of the endo I don't remember what we did. Good luck and keep us posted.

8. moco89

moco89 Approved members

You also might want to get him to have some jelly or honey-so he doesn't have to eat as much.

I think he will need a mini-glucagon dose, too.

You are in for a long night. He will need to be tested, probably hourly, for at least the next 4-6 hours.

Don't worry about the lantus until the IOB conflict is resolved. The lantus can be postponed for awhile, probably up to four hours. The lantus is nothing compared to your overdose problem at hand.

9. Illinifan

Ok. Talked to the endo. It sounds like an echo in here. ;)

It's going to be a long night. She wants me to check him every hour. He'll need the carbs. If he drops and stays, I'm supposed to take him to the ER. She said not to bother with the Lantus until tomorrow.

He took the Novolog at 10:30 EDT, so we are 45 minutes into this. He's got 180 carbs in him since then, but he's going to have to go to sleep soon.

10. Illinifan

We eat very little jelly and Zach just got it out of the frig. 13 carbs per tablespoon. That will add up quickly. :eek:

He's starting to suck it down now. His comment "This is really nasty."

Thank God there' two Monday Night Football games tonight. Denver's up 10-0 and they've mentioned Jay Cutler's diabetes half a dozen times now.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm glad you talk to the endo.. it most definitely will be a long night, I'm so glad that the mistake was caught!!

12. twodoor2

At least you're taking this in stride, it's never good to panic about these things. Good luck and I hope things soon get under control. :cwds:

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

I agree with the endo. You hold off on the Lantus until this is for sure under control. Last thing you need is another insulin pulling him down.

What was his BG when he give himself the superbolus, and what is his correction factor (aka ISF)?

By the way, apple juice is very carb rich and easy to get down in significant quantities.

14. Connie(BC)Type 1

Good luck Brian! Put a rubber band on the lantus bottle, then it may not get mixed up as easily! Tell Zachary, we've all done things like that!

15. Illinifan

Yeah, wouldn't it have been nice if he had been high when he pulled this stunt.

16. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Yeah, that is gross! :p:(

17. Illinifan

I'll keep checking this thread, but I jumped over to the Parent's chat room.

18. Connie(BC)Type 1

How are his numbers now?

19. buggle

buggle Approved members

I'll be keeping vigil with you for a couple of hours. I hope he finds some decent carb source to keep him going that isn't too horrible to gag down. :(

20. Illinifan

Not good. If he is still bad at 1:00am I willl serioulsy consider taking him to the ER.