- advertisement -

Upsetting Things People Say About Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Richard157, Mar 28, 2013.

1. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Words off my fingertips.

2. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I can think of 2 things that really pissed me off with my daughter's t1d. First, that I caused it by not breastfeeding her and second- this happened recently-- A woman I'd met kept saying in front of my daughter how horrible it was that she had diabetes at such a young age and blah blah blah. Never have I had someone say that in front of her, like come on! Shes ok with it, so shut up!

I've learned to not care about the comments made by people who just don't get that type 1 and type 2 are very different. They're ignorant and there's no point in getting aggravated anymore lol.

It makes me feel very good about her diabetes though that you are 73 now and are perfectly fine. All the drs say you can live a normal long life but you are living it and that makes me happy and very hopeful.

3. schnoodle

schnoodle Approved members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-aQPbzCZE :confused:

4. missmakaliasmomma

Don't feel too bad, my daughter doesn't do sleepovers anywhere. I don't feel comfortable with anyone but myself managing her diabetes and I don't ever want to put the "burden" (it's not a burden to me but for someone who doesn't deal with it everyday, it's a big deal) on someone who doesn't know enough about it.

my mother insists and insists but I honestly don't think she really understands diabetes in a way that would make me feel comfortable. I thought my daughter going on the pump would make it easier and maybe they could do sleepovers, but I don't think my mom would understand the pump either. I could just imagine her saying (20 different times mind you)" what is a bolus?" lol

5. missmakaliasmomma

I don't "make it known" either. My daughter on the other hand is like "HEY THIS IS MY PUMP- I HAVE DIABETES!"

I am glad she's proud of it though lol

6. missmakaliasmomma

Anyone can suffer from hypoglycemia once in a while and it can have nothing to do with diabetes. I believe in type 2, sometimes your pancreas can overreact to food and send too much insulin. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

I don't have D but I have experienced hypos twice and it's definitely not fun. It's amazing that t1ds can deal with it when I was such a big baby about my blood sugar being 55.

7. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

After I was dx'ed (literally. A nurse had come to put in the insulin IV to get my 650 blood sugar down) and after she put in the IV (my mom was in the bathroom) the nurse said "I'm sorry you won't be able to have candy anymore, but you will get used to it." and left. When my mom came out of the bathroom, I was crying. My mom went out to the nurses station and asked for the nurse who put my IV in. they didn't know and... Well being a 10 year old then I didn't think to get her name :(

Another time was just about 2 weeks after my dx. My 4th grade teacher took me out into the hall, after I told her that my homework from the night before hadn't been done because I had been 400+ for several hours, because someone at the restaurant we had gone to had given me regular soda even though my mom had said diet.... Even over 350, its hard to concentrate on something, and my brain gets... not sure how to explain it. And she started lecturing me. I only remember a few parts of it. "You think your the only diabetic?" "that is no excuse, my husband has diabetes, he takes his pill, and goes on with his day. he does his work without a problem" And my least favorite "If you think you can use diabetes as an excuse to get out of doing your schoolwork, you are mistaken. I am going to send you home with extra homework tonight, and I expect it on my desk tomorrow morning when you come into class"

*I was 10*. After that I had to go to the nurses office to test my blood sugar before lunch. I said I had a stomach ache, and had my mom called. the nurse let me lay down until my mom got there. My mom had my teacher get together my work that I would be missing, and when we got to the car I started crying.

Those are the only two I remember, but I know there have been others.

8. ChazDad

ChazDad Approved members

My DS was just dx in Jan. 2013. There have been SO MANY inappropriate comments, it's hard to pick just one....

(1) When we got home from the hospital, a family friend called and said she had heard DS was in the hospital. "Is he OK?" she asked. I replied, "Well, he has T1 diabetes, and he will have it for the rest of his life." She then says, and I quote, "Oh, don't worry about it. I'm sure he'll be fine in a few weeks. Kids get over these things."

(2) The school nurse called my wife one day, and said, "Do you think your DS can eat his lunch without Insulin from now on? It's hard for us to drive to his school each day, and we have other T1 diabetics who don't need Insulin before lunch." ....... Really? And you call yourself a nurse?

(3) I guess the most painful of all is not a comment, rather a reaction. When DS was in the hospital, all his aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. called and wished him well. Since then, they have avoided us like the plague. Our family has never been more distant to us than they are now, since our son was dx'd. For example, 3 of his 4 aunts on my side forgot / ignored his birthday this year. I really just don't understand their avoidance of us since his dx.

AND - we have never had so many accusations that we fed him too many sweets. Ugh! :mad: Whatever, I guess we'll get used to it with time.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Prior to my daughter's dx I knew next to nothing about Type 1. I try to remember that when I hear of people saying ignorant things. Usually it's just that, ignorance, not cruelty.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Guilty. I am embarrassed now to say that I gave my T1 neighbor box of sf chocolates:eek: LOL, later once my daughter was diagnosed I said to her "why didn't you tell me that I pretty much gave you a box of laxatives!:eek:"

12. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I let a lot of things slide; I too didn't know anything about Type 1 prior to DX.

One stands out in my mind: "if your son has gastric bypass surgery, it will reverse his diabetes". He's 8 and weighs 68 lbs.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Hahaha, that's so funny! When the Dr first mentioned the word "diabetes" you know what I said? "But, but but... I didn't feed her any sugar!" LOL, so sad... but true :rolleyes:

14. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

The first thing my husband said, in all honesty and out of concern for what K was going to lose out on in life, was, "So he won't be able to go out and get drunk in university?"! I still don't know, and neither does he, what ridiculous train of thought led to that question!

I'm sure they hear the sugar comment all the time (I know I made it, too), but I'm pretty sure they hadn't head a father jump straight to mourning the fact that his 2-year-old son wouldn't be able to get drunk down the line before. :p

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

:D Priorities, lol

16. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

That made me laugh out loud. Men can be funny critters. :D

17. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

I was told my son was sick because God was punishing me for having him out of wedlock! She got a few choice words pointed her way.

I also had a school personnell tell my son at age 6 that if he doesn't take care of himself, he'll lose his legs... I was like, Umm, ok, thanks! And then made the crazy face to my son so he would laugh and not take it so seriously.

But honestly, the worse one was at dinner with my mom, he was about 9-10 and she said, "Your brother met someone who cured herself of diabetes." I wanted to throw my plate at her. First of all, you can't! Second of all, don't put that in his head, like I'm failing him for not curing him, as if it's been in my power all along. (or maybe he's failing because he's not cured.) She hasn't mentioned anything of the sort since.

I have millions of stories about actual PhD holding doctors with misinformation, but that is a whole-nother Oprah Show.

C7

18. Afranzen

Afranzen Approved members

First thank for sharing your story! 67 years with type 1 is amazing! Gives me so much hope for my daughter!

The worst thing and most hurtful thing ever said to me was by my mother. When I told her about my daughter having it she first told me it was because I had gestational diabetes while I was pregnant with her, and that I must not be feeding her healthy food and I better figure out what I did so my son didn't end up getting it too!

19. justice1315

justice1315 Approved members

Not sure if anything like this has happened to you guys, but it has happened several times to us, and it makes me soooooo mad!!! Thank goodness my children have been there, otherwise I could not have been so calm.

When we go to the grocery store, my daughter automatically flips the boxes over to check carb counts for any snacks. The most recent time this happened, we were in line to check out, and of course right by us is the tower of doom!!! (all the candy/chocolate). So she is attempting to get me to cave and buy something from the candy area, reading me off all the carbs of her favorites. A woman had the nerve to walk up to me, and very hatefully ask me why I was having my child watch her carbs/what she eats. I was in shock, I think I just stared at her for a while contemplating what I would really like to do/say. I told her WHY we were looking at carbs, which immediatley shut her up. Some people are just unbelievable!!!!:mad:

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

My child's own grandmother told her this same thing...and went on to share the story of the 17 year old boy she knew who lost his foot...

(why does everyone ALWAYS assume that someone doesn't take care of their diabetes? No one ever tells me, oh, if you eat that donut, you can die of a coronary - I know someone who had one at 17 because of donuts...)