- advertisement -

Upset stomach

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Dec 10, 2007.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Okay I know what to do if Kelton gets an upset stomach, but what should I do if I have one? After my first cup of coffee my stomach got upset and I have a low grade temp 99.8, I am drinking lots of fluids and trying to keep everything down..

Oh, I forgot to mention that I went to the ER finally last night and had 5 bags of fluids via an IV to get rid of the ketones, the ketones were in the urine with only a small amount in my blood..I went low several times too..

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Ketones can upset your stomach. I'd so be on the phone with your endo. What you're going through is ridiculous in my humble opinion.

3. KeltonsMom

I am not spilling ketones at this point..Got rid of them all last night in the ER..

I did call the Endo and he told me if I have even trace ketones to call back and they will go from there..Looks like I may be starting Lantus sooner than I thought..

Is it true that Lantus can help prevent lows?

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Eh, everyone is so different. I started a sliding scale with R as my introduction to the insulin world. I found that correcting the highs prevented me from plummiting to lows, presumably because my body didn't feel the need to excrete random insulin amounts to bring them down itself. I definitely had residual beta cell function when I started insulin and did feel that starting insulin evened things out.

As for upset stomach, I really can't help ya much there because I have chronic GI problems and have my own pharmacopia of drugs as a resource when I have a stomach ache.

But just sip fluids and eat bland foods. Coffee probably isn't a great choice.

5. KeltonsMom

Yeah, between the coffee and the orange juice I did bad:eek:

I am sure milk doesn't help either:rolleyes:

6. KeltonsMom

Sugar-free Ginger Ale worked..Now I will go to bed