- advertisement -

Upset about diabetes...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by styleme5779, Apr 20, 2011.

1. styleme5779

styleme5779 New Member

im 14 and i got diagnosed with diabetes when i was almost 6..
    lately ive just been feeling really crappy about diabetes :/ so i thought i could come here for some help and support ?
    When i got diagnosed i remember being in hospital and all of my family and friends coming to visit with presents, at the time i obviousy didnt know what is was. But i didnt care, i guess i liked all the attention i was getting, i didnt realize that instead of smiling i should have been crying. i had no idea how hard and painful it was going to be in the future :/ I remember lying in hospital and my parents thought i was asleep, i looked over to my parents and saw my mum balling her eyes out, i didnt know why though... My mum is a nurse so she had delt with type 1 diabetics before.

I have 2 siblings, my brother jacob is 22 and my sister jasmine is 24, we all have different dads. i know its not my fault and that i had nothing to do with it but i feel bad seeing as my dads only child was a failure...
    Me and my dad used to be really close, but lately it feels like the only time we talk is when ive done something wrong or when hes saying goodnight :/

i dont remember much of when i was little, but i remember it pretty clearly when i started high school.
    i do my bsl's where ever i am, i remember the first time i did it in yr 7, the people near me started to crowd around me like i was some sort of circus freak and they were here to watch the show..

Some people really dont understand how hard it is, i know my friends act like its nothing... like my life is perfect because i have good parents... they act as if im not going through anything in my own life and that diabetes is just a cold,, that it will eventually go away, i know its not the hardest thing in the world but it definatley isnt the easiest..

I remember last year at lunch i had been running around heaps and i hadnt eaten anything, which resulted in me being low, when lunch ended i had science, so i quickly ran to the canteen to buy something to get my bsl back up. I expained to my science teacher what was wrong and so i went outside to finish eating, about 5 minutes later he came back out and told me that it had been long enough and it was now time for me to go back inside. I knew i hadnt had enough to eat and that i definatley need more, we continued to argue and he eventually ended up saying to me:
    "Zoe I think i know more about diabetes than you do now come back inside."
    i was too upset to say anything more so i walked back inside and sat down. i really felt like lifting up my top and saying:
    "im sorry have you had this stuck to your stomach for 8 years ?"

My parents do shift work which means they work >heaps<. This means im alone alot of the time so it makes me very independent which i guess is a good thing but at the same time i feel like i dont get much help or support.

I was reading this one story on here and it showed me how serious it actually is and how it can really damage your life and i guess it was just really relevant to what im going through, and just knowing that im going to have to live with this disease for the rest of my life is really hard.

Sorry ive gone on for really long i just needed to get that out :)

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm sorry your feeling down, this is a great place to come and vent/ get support, and everyone here "gets" d

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

It's not an easy road to follow, that's for sure! Try to love yourself, forgive yourself, and above all, don't blame yourself for not being "perfect". No one is and it's the imperfect in others that is most deserving of love. Remember that!

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Sometimes things just seem to get on top of you. It's normal and you will feel better soon. Diabetes is really hard work and after having it for 8 years you are bound to be sick of it - but - it does sound like you have a very good head on your shoulders. It also sounds as though there isn't much you can't handle. Being independent is a plus to having diabetes. Noone else has to calculate how much "medicine" they need - every time they eat something! It is a lot to think about. 14 is a bit of a funny age too - you are capable - and sometimes people look at you - see someone who looks quite grown up - and don't realise that you are still basically a kid! Parents sometimes need reminding of that too LOL!

Hope you don't feel like you are the only one feeling this way too - there are teenagers all over the world thinking diabetes is a pain! (There is one in my house).:D

5. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

PS Your science teacher shouldn't have done that to you. I think you should tell your parents. If you were my kid I would be a bit mad about that and would have a talk to them an make sure it didn't happen again. If you need to eat - you are allowed to! I hope you didn't have a test or anything just after!

6. smilingeyes125

smilingeyes125 New Member

I understand completely. But Diabetes makes you a lot more tough. Just tell people to screw off if they watch you, or take care of your Diabetes discreetly. The only way to make it sorta easier is to carry lifesavers in your pockets and eat them secretly whenever you feel low. Or carry juice with you in a water bottle, but one of the colored ones so you can't see whats inside of it. I think you should also try going to Diabetes camp so you can be around people who understand, I'm going to Clara Barton for the 2nd time this year. Just remember that Diabetes does not control your life and it doesn't make you who you are either. Their are a lot of ignorant people out there, and it's not YOUR job to educate them, God knows it's hard to get through to people like that anyway... just don't mention you have Diabetes.. it's not anything to be ashamed of but keeping it quiet doesn't harm either.

7. Ithilfey

Ithilfey Approved members

Oh, honey. I know how you feel. My parents run their own business so they're working all the time. I barely get support from them at *all* and I feel really guilty asking for it. They ask me what my bg was once every couple of days and they act like they're doing everything they can. And whenever the ask me, they won't even look up from their computers.
    I had a teacher like that once. It might be a good idea to talk to your principle about it. That's what I did. Ultimately, can go screw himself. You know what you need. Your health is more important than his stupid class.
    And oh my GOD, do I know about friends pretending like it's nothing. They always give me these looks like "Hey, it could be a lot worse. Suck it up". Sometimes I just want to lift my shirt and yell "SEE THIS? Have you had to stick these in your stomach every other day for 7 years?! Have you had to stick your finger 5 times a day? Have you had to stop and think thoroughly before you can even go anywhere near any food? Do you have to live with this every single freaking day with no end in sight?! No. I didn't think so. So don't you dare tell me it isn't a big deal."
    It doesn't help that every single person at my school completely ignores me. There are 28 kids in my entire school. It's hard to be invisible, but they act like I don't exist. It's like I'm not even part of the school.
    In the end, no, this isn't easy. And it never will be. We've been stuck in a sucky situation. There's no way you can put a positive spin on it. But, it does make us stronger. We're stronger than they ever will be. Look what we live with on an every day basis? We're freaking amazing. We kick ass. We are supermegafoxyawesomehot. We should be damn proud of how far we've come and how far

8. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

I know how you feel about students wanting to know what your doing when it comes to checking blood/giving boluses, many people have asked me if it hurts to poke my finger and what the pump is, usually the same people every time they see me checking or bolusing. You should talk to your parents about your teacher and then before/after school talk to him with your parents, so he knows how important it is for you to get your bg up. Even if he did know more about diabetes than you, (even though you've had 8 years of experience having diabetes) you know what you need to do for yourself, not him.