- advertisement -

Update

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by halo, Jan 7, 2010.

1. halo

halo Approved members

I don't think these people are honest enough to give me what they've been writing down.

2. halo

halo Approved members

The only problem is that CPS can't legally identify the caller even though the information they gave me about the complaint directly points to the school and CPS basically told me that I'm right but wouldn't say who called. They did encourage me to have my attorney contact the prosecuter to see what could be done although it would be difficult.
    So if I file a complaint they will probrably just deny it. They knew when they called that they were protected and that's the flaw in the law. It's actually a class E felony with a punishment of a year in jail and a $1000 fine to file a false report to CPS but since the law protects the caller it's absolutely useless unless the person admits they did it. Nice huh?

3. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Maybe not (and it is illegal for them to withhold the info. if you request it) BUT if they realize you know that it is your right & you say the words "open records act" it will make them think twice before writing anything down.

4. halo

halo Approved members

The only person at the school that is authorized by us to write anything down is the nurse and we have a special log that we have made for her use and that would be just the times that my child gets tested with a finger prick not the cgm. I think the teacher is doing this to build up some kind of a case against us and is showing it to someone. She's very ignorant. We go to her doctor every week with her pump and have him download it to help us with basal numbers so he see's it all and adjusts things himself.

5. halo

halo Approved members

Just a thought from a homeschooling mom, if your DD loves school and learning, homeschooling could be lots of fun for both of you.

Now that being said I STRONGLY recommend that if you decide to go this route, please, please, please contact the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (www.HSLDA.org) and join them before you pull her from the school. If you become a member, they will legally defend your rights as a homeschooling family. (Sorry they can not do anything in regards to the discrimination or if you decide to keep her in school.) Talk to them about how they would recommend removing your DD from school. I was able to do it with only a letter of intent to homeschool. Your state may be different, though, and I didn't have the problems with the school as you seem to be having. It sounds as if the school may come after you if you pull DD out of the district to homeschool. If they do, HSLDA will take up the cause to defend you and your DD at that time. HSLDA is a group of highly skilled and professional lawyers that believe so strongly in homeschooling that they homeschool their own children.

And just to clarify, I am not affiliated with HSLDA other than being a member myself. I would just hate for you to do this without some type of legal representation in your situation. Best of luck. If you have any questions about homeschooling feel free to PM me.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I will look into that. I will also PM you with a few questions.

6. halo

halo Approved members

Thank You, that sounds interesting. I will look into that .

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

If you did request all the records by the open records act that was mentioned and they didnt show you everything, then tried to use something against you that they didnt give you, it would be very hard for them to use it..if you understand my point?? If they dont show you what they have, they probably wouldnt be able to use it?? :confused: Im sorry you are going through such a difficult thing.:(

8. halo

halo Approved members

Good point..I'll have to ask for the records.

9. halo

halo Approved members

Thank You, I'm going to ask for the folder. I find it so depressing that I am the best mom I can be for my child and then someone tries to do this to my family. It's disgusting.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'm talking about whoever is writing things down NOW, without any authorization from yourself..

11. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Wow what BS. I can not imagine how totally offended you must feel.

I do not know what the right answer would be, however, I know I would feel the same way you do and also would be very pissed.

I really wish you the best and hope you can get to the bottom of why they are doing this.

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am sorry that this has happened to your family. What makes it even worse is that the school is continuing its outlandish and illegal behavior to try and get you to leave. That just plain stinks and makes me so mad for you.
    Since filing a false report is a class e Felony or a misdemeanor I would certainly see about filing a complaint with the district attorney's office. Also I would see about filing a discrimination complaint as well. The fact that the school filed this false report with CPS will give you good ammunition in the discrimination part. It is also wonderful that you are keeping a record of every phone call, memo, etc. May I suggest that you do all correspondence by email and mail so you have a written record of all correspondence. That way the school can't worm their way out of things. Emails make wonderful evidence regarding conversations. I use IP relay so keep a record of all phone conversations with the conversations printed out, but you can't do that so email is the next best thing.
    In the meantime, could your daughter put her pump and cgms on vibrate so the teacher doesn't hear it and isn't aware of it alarming? Just an idea.
    I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. (((HUGS)))

13. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

I do homeschool a high schooler. There are curriculums out there that do all the teaching through video lessons or interactive computer program. You can either teach them yourself or use these and become more of a facilitator with scheduling, grading, and planning. I know that homeschooling is not for everyone but if you think it is in the best interests of your child, I highly recommend it.

14. Toni

Toni Banned

I am so glad you saved that nasty message. Every time you have a confrontation document, date time and details. Keep a log on your computer. It sounds like you are going to have to hire a lawyer if OCR does not step in. Which takes years, though. Sometimes just walking in with a lawyer changes their attitude and they may become more cooperative. You could instruct your daughter not to answer the teacher when she asks anything D related other than dealing with lows. Although we have a school nurse, we have DN "self manage". This means although the nurse can document her lunch bolus, we are handling it over the phone with DN and the school nurse is just an observer. In fact, DN is in a private room and will just tell the nurse the bolus, carbs when she comes out. Any highs, lows, BS checks before Gym, we make the decision for carbs and corrections, whether to override pump. We were having a problem adjusting insulin ourselves without a doctor's order every time, then problems with covering IOB after a lunch/gym combo. Nurse has another child with D who never covers IOB no matter what so she questioned what we do. You really can manage your child over the phone with the Nurse as help, if needed. This does not absolve the nurse from responsibility for lows, giving Glucagon, just allows you and your daughter to manage her diabetes without interference. I know our Nurse really cares and watches her like a hawk, just as she did when she handled the care. I think this method takes a lot of the burden off the nurse, as well, eliminates human error, and keeps the D care consistent at school and home. P.S. She goes right to the phone at lunch. Usually takes all of two minutes tops.

15. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I am sorry you had to go through this and are still dealing with it. :(

Good Luck to you!

16. shekov

shekov Approved members

I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble with the school. This is what I'm so afraid of when dd starts school next year!

I don't know exactly what steps you have taken so far but I would highly recommend you go through every step that is set up by the district as far as making a complaint. That way you will have dotted the is and crossed the ts. They then can't claim that you never attempted to resolve the problem appropriately.

It may take a while to do this but I really think it's the best route to avoid future problems. We've had our issues with how scool has handled some situations and found they were very unwilling to talk with us if we didn't follow the set protocol. :(