- advertisement -

Update on Travis and I love you all!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tiffanie1717, Feb 19, 2009.

1. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

First I have to tell you that this is an INCREDIBLE place. As I sat here a moment ago with tears streaming down my face, I felt so loved and supported. No one has to offer support, but everyone on here is so willing to show they love and care! Thank You! You really have made my heart lighter tonight!

Well, we went to Geisinger this morning. His bg level in the blood draw was 678. His A1C was 8.8 and his average bg was 206, so they concluded that we caught it early and it's been full-blown for about 3-4 weeks. He had no ketones at all!! They asked if we were interested in going home tonight and we were like "get us out of here!!!" We are thrilled to be home!

I cannot tell you how AMAZING Travis was! He was so brave! He never cried and was happy and cheerful almost the whole time we were there. He took his first shot without a murmur. He got his blood drawn without flinching. It was a different boy from last night! We could really feel all your prayers.

The doctor even said that we could possibly get on the pump in just a month!!!! (depending on insurance issues) That was so exciting to hear! We are getting ready to start Kylie in the next 2 weeks, so that would be amazing.

I know the next few weeks will be a challenge. The doc said that he will probably have a long honeymoon because his body is still producing insulin and we caught it early. That can be good or bad as we all know!

I'm nervous about him figuring out his lows. Will they be the same as Kylie? Or completely different?

Thank you again for your love and support! I'm overwhelmed!

Robyn, you're right! It does SUCK! ;)

Kris, we're in Towanda so not too far away! Maybe someday we can meet up somewhere! We love most of the people at Geisinger, but I about killed our nurse in the ER today. Apparently no one could possibly have any more knowledge about diabetes than her!! My husband had to restrain me. :) haha

2. CButler

CButler Approved members

Wow, it's so good to hear from you and also hear that Travis did so well. I will keep praying as all of you make adjustments.

3. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Tiffanie I am so sorry to here about Travis. I'm glad you caught it early though. It sounds like he is a really brave little boy. I don't know how I missed the other post but I'm sorry I did.

(((Tiffanie)))

4. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear you've had a 2nd diagnosis in your family as well. It can really be a hard pill to swallow. My Zoe was so brave, too. I think because she had see Morgan do it her whole life....prayers to you..

5. bz'smom

bz'smom Approved members

We are so glad they allowed you guys to come home! That is awesome news about the pump! Tell Travis we are sooooooooo very proud of him! Don't you doubt your & Tim's ability to figure things out with Travis - I'm sure it will be different, but you guys do such an amazing job with Kylie! I've been praying for you guys all day, I think I was on the computer more today than I have been in the past month!!! lol

The first thing out of Brandon's mouth tonight when he came home from school was 'How is Travis?'

I can't wait to hear the story about the ER nurse! :D :p

Love ya!

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

YAY Travis! CONGRATS!!
    I still fight shots!! :D But I'm a wimp, everyone knows it! So thankful I have the pump, so I don't need shots! Have used anything but an infusion set since May 25, 1998:rolleyes:

Let Travis know to notice how his body feels as his numbers are dropping. He hopefully will notice the changes.

7. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Tiffanie,
    I am glad that you caught is early. And Travis is handling it so well. Good luck!!!
    Wendy

8. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Thank you for updating us.
    Kudos to Travis and his bravery! :)
    Keep your spirits up:cwds:

9. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

It sounds like the day went better than expected. Not having to stay the night is great! And possibly getting the pump soon will be great too. D s*cks but it is better that you caught it early.

10. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I am so glad you are both in good spirits! It is good to "see" you back!

11. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I'm sure being home and not in the hospital is a big relief for both Travis and you. Sounds like you have a wonderful boy there....kudos to his parents.

Keeping you and your family in our prayers through this transition time.

12. Noel

Noel Approved members

Tiffanie, Thanks so much for updating us!! Lots of love (and prayers) coming your way!!! Give Travis a hug and a high five from all of his cyber parents here on CWD. Remember we are here for you to Tiffanie!!!:cwds:

13. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Tiffanie,
    thanks fro the update. I told Lil what was going on and she sends her best as well.
    Take care and just let me know if there is anything you need.
    Allene

14. gotinsulin

gotinsulin Approved members

Way to go Travis! We are all so proud of you!
    Glad you are home and were able to get the support of your team!
    Maybe posting the chart of the signs of hypoglycemia(lows) on the
    fridge for your children to compare their symptoms would help,you
    and them get used to their individual symptoms... I know when my
    Tim was having lows he felt completely different then Colleen...
    they would run to the poster and discuss different symptoms. Its
    also good to show future caretakers and other family members that
    lows come in all various ways and may be unique to each child at
    times or very similar... I think you can find printable versions on
    cwd website... I think, I got actual posters from NovoNorDisk
    back in the day...
    Many blessing sent to you all!
    Sandra

15. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Thanks for the update.

I have been under the weather all day myself and remembered reading this last night and wanted to check.

16. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

I'm so glad that you caught it early!
    and tell Travis that we are all SO proud of him for being such a trooper!
    Best wishes!

17. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

Happy to hear your home already, I will keep you in my prayers. You have such a heavy load to bear, more than some people will ever know. I can't imagine what your feeling. Relief, I'm sure because your baby is going to get the treatment he needs. But sadness of course, too. God Bless you and your family.

18. Becky-Sam'sMom

Becky-Sam'sMom Approved members

Good for you for catching it so early and good for him for being so brave!! :)
    Best wishes. :cwds:

19. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I'm so glad everything went well today - way to go Travis!:):cwds:

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Great job Travis! Seth was dx'd at 7 too...Great job catching it early mom:cwds: