- advertisement -

Update on Sarah - Born without her Pancreas

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SarahsMum, Jul 25, 2009.

1. SarahsMum

SarahsMum Approved members

Hi All

Its been a while since I popped into the forum

Life has been crazy, having a diabetic baby has proved to be far more of a challange than I ever imagined, somedays Im not sure how I even get through the day.

3 weeks ago we had her 6 month vacs done and she ended up with Gastro, while would have been a challange in its own right add in diabetes and nil exocrine function keeping her sugars up proved quite the challange. She spent a few days in ICU and we come home after 8 stressful days.

A week after we got home we were back in there with a chest infection with she picked up while an inpatient, home again after 3 days and then only lasted 2 days before she went into DKA. When it rains it pours.

We are back home again and levels have been good for the last 2 days.

For those that dont know us a brief histoty is that Sarah was born on the 28th November 08 at 31 weeks and 1 pound 9 ounces or 735 grams, within a few weeks of birth she was diagnosed with Neonatal Diabetes and at 5 weeks we were told that she had a rare condition called "Pancreatic Agenesis" in that she was born without her Pancreas, Gall bladder and with a heart defect.

She now weights 4500 grams and is now 8 months old and is pumping with an Animas 2020 and has been since she was 1800 grams.

Our local paper recently ran an article on her

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25806098-661,00.html

I hope you and your children are all travelling along as well as can be expected!

Karina and Sarah

2. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

She's beautiful.
    You are a beautiful family.
    God Bless you all

3. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

I actually read your story earlier this week. Sarah is beautiful and look at that radiant smile she has. I can't even begin to imagine the challenges you face every day and I even struggle with knowing just what to say. I just wanted to say, it's nice to see you back here with an update. I wish the best for your little Sarah even through the upcoming trials and struggles may she also have many wonderful surprises for medical team. As Sarah continues to grow, it it quite evident that her radiant smile with continue with her because of the love and dedication of her two parents.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

thank you for the update Karina. You are really an inspiration! What a lucky daughter Sarah is to have such a devoted mum.

5. manic4titans

manic4titans Approved members

oh she is so precious. Thank you for sharing your story.

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

She's an inspiration, as are you. Sarah obviously gets her fighting spirit from her family.

Thank you for sharing with us.

7. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Thank you for updating us.:cwds: You have a beautiful baby and she has a loving family.

Praying each day gets easier for you and Sarah gets healthier and healthier.

God Bless!

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

She is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for the update. I think about Sarah often.

I wish Sarah and your family ( including Kevin ) health and happiness.

9. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Karina, what an amazing job you're doing! I can' even begin to imagine what challenges you face every day on top of diabetes! I've been thinking about your daughter and am glad about the update! Thank you! Sarah is a cutie pie and such fighter!

10. albasmom

albasmom Approved members

Thank you so much for the update. I have been thinking about how Sarah did. She is precious. You are doing an amazing job.

11. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Thanks for the update about Sarah. I have thought about her and wondered how she was doing. Hope things improve for you all.

12. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Karina -
    I just want to give Sarah a HUGE ((((((((((HUG))))))))))... she's adorable, and so lucky to have such a determined family and medical team behind her keeping her going... Good luck with everything in the future, and please keep us posted (with pics too! ;)).

13. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Thanks for the update on Sarah. Sarah is a beautiful blessing from GOD! You are amazing parents! Hugs to you all!

14. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Thank you for the update Karina, Sarah is so beautiful! what a gift from God:) I will keep her and your family in my prayers always

15. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

YOU are amazing!! And Sarah is just precious..what a gorgeous baby! So glad that she is better again now. What a stressful time... Thanks for keeping us updated.

16. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Thank you so much for the update on Sarah. She is a beautiful little girl and she is so blest to have wonderful parents. I have often thought of Sarah and you and wondered how you are doing. Sending many (((HUGS))) your way.

17. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I've wondered how you'll were doing. She does have a beautiful smile. she looks like she's growing well.
    Glad you'll are out of icu

18. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Thanks for the update...I think of you all often. I work with lots of preemies, and know that that alone is a struggle! You are doing an amazing job. She's beautiful!

19. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

Thank you for updating us. Your daughter is adorable. I'm praying for your family.

20. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

Thank you for the update. I remembered your story instantly. The article brought tears to my eyes.