- advertisement -

Update on Damian/Surgery/He just had to get sick now. GRRRRR! (a bit of a vent)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by katie.c, Jan 13, 2011.

1. katie.c

katie.c Approved members

This time I'm not so excited. I need to get it out. I'm on the verge of tears. It doesn't sound very serious but right now it is. The surgery is 2 weeks away and I come home only to find out Damian has the flu. Not the end of the world, right? Except he has asthma and his immune system isn't quite up to par with what it used to be, add in the D, and he's refusing to even give Tamiflu a try. I've convinced him to at least keep staying here for now but he decided to park himself in the middle of the living room floor, pile on the blankets, lay there and do nothing. Right on the hard floor too and he won't move. I'm just waiting for him to get stepped on. I know he's old enough to take care of himself but he's exhausted and I'm doing my best to play nurse checking BG, ketones, oxygen levels, pulse, temp, and peak flow. That's the easy part. The hard part is getting him to eat anything. He'll drink some water and a little bit of gatorade here and there but he needs to put on a few pounds or at the very least not lose any more. If anyone has weight GAIN tips I'll gladly take them. The only plus is that even with all this going on he's only had 2 seizures today.

I'm not mad at him, it's just such a frustration and I'm worried he's going to have to cancel the surgery if it doesn't clear up soon. He needs it, the meds on their own just don't cut it. I'm praying he'll get better quickly. Right now he feels awful. We'll just have to wait and see. :(

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

So sorry he's sick. Tamiflu really works if you get it started soon after the onset. I hope he'll reconsider taking it.

3. lisab

lisab Approved members

I feel for you.....Hope your son improves before the surgery date and is feeling better soon.

4. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Pepto-Bizmol, combine with ginger gravol, and NIGHT TIME DIMETAPP do not give tylynol with this as it has Tylenol in it. My typically treament is Ventolin every four hours, and instead of advair I switch to just plain flowvent 3 X's a day
    Robetesin cough gels are amazing but DO not take if you are on any form of anti-depresants. I'd inflate an air mat and make him lay on that at least OR at least prop him up with pillows I CANNOT lay down when sick at all because of my asthma and proping up in a sitting position helps... Grown boys and sickness=a PAIN
    As for gaining weight 0_0 I wish I could help, but I'm not sure what I'm doing right to pack it all on

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm so sorry. Does he realize that if he avoids the tamiflu that he could end up in the hospital??
    Hope it passes quickly!!

6. katie.c

katie.c Approved members

I hope so too, he's just not big on taking anything he can avoid. He's miserable and wants to argue everything right now too. I'll push it again tomorrow but after that the treatment window would be closed. And of course he always knows what's best and he's invincible.;)
    Thank you. I can really only hope for the best right now and keep him resting. The sooner he can get the surgery the better but if it has to be rescheduled for his safety I'll understand, even if it takes a while to get over the blow. I just want my "big baby" to be as happy as possible.
    Thanks Jess. He luckily doesn't have any stomach symptoms as of now but ginger works wonders for him and gravol helps too. Pepto, not his favourite but I have some on hand if it's needed. He just doesn't have a big appetite. Sometimes he goes on crazy food binges but other times he's not a big eater at all. He went with Buckley's this time around but I'll probably pick up the Dimetapp if he needs to switch. He's staying on the Advair but adding extra Flovent (and actually using the aerochamber) until he's feeling better. Ventolin he's getting through the nebulizer and it's his best friend right now. Hopefully he won't need oral steriods but if it comes down to it, whatever keeps him breathing. BG numbers are already going down the drain even with the pump connected giving a real basal rate and the regular Levemir dose AND corrections. He had a stack of pillows and he stuck an extra blanket under his head but I still want to get him off the floor soon. I put on 10 pounds over the past 2 months and still haven't figured it out either. If I knew what did it he'd be getting it right now.

I'm trying to stay up to keep testing him but I feel like I'm going to nod off any time now. Here's what I got from the last ones (listed in both units of measurement to make it simple for everyone).

BG - 11.9 (214)
    Ketones - 2.6
    Peak flow - He wasn't going to let that one happen. Next time I'm getting it, non-negotiable)
    O2 - 92
    Heart rate - 74
    Temp. - 39.6 (103.3)

They're definitely not the best I've ever seen but I'll wait until I get the next set to compare. I'm going by how he says he feels too because he knows his body well. I spoke too soon about the seizures, he's had another 2 since then.

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am sorry that Damien is sick. I noticed that his O2 is a little low. Most of the time they like it to be 95 or above but the low could be due to the flu symptoms. If he goes lower then I would certainly take him to the ER. The other thing though are ketones, etc that would be another reason to take him in.
    Hopefully he feels better soon and doesn't loose weight from this. (((HUGS)))

8. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I asked the football players how they do it and apparently they consume a lot of cottage cheese, and Advair has flowvent(I think) in it and I was told to NEVER combine the two so I'd double check.
    If you have Asthma your not really supposed to take OTC cough meds, and you need to be careful because some meds are not good for asthma. I recommend NIGHT TIME meds ONLY because Pseudophedrimine will excellerate things and IS not a good mix AT all with the amount of asthma meds he's taking. I've had asthma since I was six so I know how not fun it is. The Cough gels are OKAY to take.
    If you can't get him off the floor, take a run to the Canadian tire and get an airmat, thats where my mom puts us since she got the new couch.

9. katie.c

katie.c Approved members

I can't write much now but I just want to say thank you again and give a really quick update. Damian was taken to the ER by a friend who was keeping an eye on him while DH and I were at work. He was admitted and he's doing better than he was earlier but he's still not even remotely feeling well. If you could keep him in your thoughts that would mean a lot. We're all just hoping he turns around quickly. I have to take care of some things, my parents are handling everything at home and I feel awful about it. I'll try to fill in the details later but to sum it up huge corrections weren't helping, O2 dropped and he wasn't himself.

10. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

Sorry to hear that your son was not feeling better. Hope he can improve now that he is in the hospital. He will be in my thoughts and prayers.

11. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

You could get him Boost if you are worried about him losing weight. They are tasty and not that big so perhaps he would try that.

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I checked in hoping for better news. I hope he feels better soon..

13. katie.c

katie.c Approved members

Cottage cheese? I'll have to tell him. Thank you for asking them, I guess they would be the experts on bulking up. Advair does have Flovent in it. When Damian's sick he can't go off the Advair because he needs the Serevent part of it but also needs a higher dose of Flovent. Doubling up on Advair wouldn't be good because he'd be getting double the Serevent at the same time (not safe). He could go on the higher dose Advair but he gets his Advair through the disk inhaler and extra Flovent through a regular inhaler and aerochamber so it's easier to breathe in. I know OTC cough meds and asthma aren't usually a good combination but he does tolerate them well and when I can I have him take the lowest dose then take them away from him so he can't take more or take the next dose too early. They're the Buckley's caplets, he can't have the liquid. They're night time but still have pseudoephedrine, just in a lower dose. Believe me, if there was any sign of a bad reaction I would have taken him in right away without even a second thought. I usually err on the side of caution bordering on paranoia. We have a couple air mattresses and I put one down for him but guess where he stayed. I tried a yoga mat and giving him a sleeping bag too but no luck. DH helped me move him to the couch and guess where I found him half an hour later. I'll never understand.
    Great minds think alike. I bought Boost, Ensure, and Vega powder. I usually left mashed potatoes, soup and some fruit he liked already cut up. It's more of a general aversion to food (not an eating disorder, it's a very long story) except when he goes on a binge. Then he can eat insane amounts of food, usually junk.

I spent a good amount of time visiting with Damian yesterday. DH and I have been taking turns switching between being home and being at the hospital. He sent me home to get some sleep, but I couldn't. I'm going back soon but had breakfast with the kids first and they're finishing up their "get well soon" cards. Maybe have lunch with them too then pick up something for DH... My parents are still here helping hold down the fort. Damian's doing better. Not good, but a little better. He's a tough guy and the worst should be over soon. The biggest risk right now is pneumonia. No DKA (thank god), but BG was "HI" on the meter and well over 30 from the stress of seizures, trouble breathing and being taken to the hospital. I can't imagine how he was feeling. He's really sensitive to highs. He was at least able to clear the ketones somewhat before everything else went downhill.

The reason he ended up at the hospital in the first place was because he missed a dose of Buckley's and his cough was already horrible to begin with but that just made it worse. Then something really cracked him up and he must have been laughing hard because he started coughing and coughing and that's when the real trouble hit. I wasn't there at the time but a very close friend of his was and I truthfully think he is one of the most phenomenal people I've ever met. He really gets it and does so much for Damian without ever being asked or complaining. He caught it quickly and took an oxygen reading. It STARTED at 88 but he let it keep reading while he was treating and waiting for an improvement and went as low as 81. At that point he thought it must be wrong and checked himself but got 98. He did recheck Damian and he was up to 85 but did the right thing and took him in. Oxygen was started along with an IV with saline and insulin. Blood drawn, breathing treatment, basic BP, heart rate, O2, head to toe check, responsiveness... I think we all know the drill. He's on antibiotics to prevent a secondary infection. He was given a dose of IV steriods too. That's something that would have been nice to avoid but he's already been moved on to oral steroids and should be starting to taper off after a few days at the most. Damian just wants to sleep and did as soon as he could. That's all he's been interested in other than going home. He's usually pretty talkative but when he wasn't fast asleep he was happy just laying there listening. He's still getting saline and insulin through the IV line and also D5 now. Still getting supplemental oxygen, Flovent, and Ventolin through a nebulizer too. An NG tube was put in to help him gain some weight and get him used to having something in his stomach again. He's on really slow, really high calorie feeds right now but they'll get sped up and switched to a more diluted kind starting today. He wasn't up to taking much by mouth yesterday but that's another thing to be worked on. His biggest complaint is the 2 tubes on his face but he especially hates the NG tube. Hopefully getting it out will be an incentive to eat. He should be alright in time for the surgery and I'm going to heep hoping and praying that he is but trying to be realistic at the same time. Relatively minor things can hit him hard. If it happens, that's wonderful but all that matters to me right now is Damian getting past this before it gets worse. I can't wait until he can come home again. The twins are missing him most (Josh and Ashley are close seconds though), and I want to take them to see their dad as soon as I can.

Just writing some of it out made me feel a little better... Even though this is really crappy I keep reminding myself that we're lucky we live in a time where he can get the treatment he needs...

14. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I'm glad he's in hospital where he belongs right now! Sleep is also good for him although hospitals don't seem to be the place for that!

I hope he recovers fast !!!!!!

15. katie.c

katie.c Approved members

A little good news again. Damian has been eating more. He won't touch hospital food so I've been cooking and bringing him meals when I can and friends drop them off when I can't. He's not eating nearly enough but it's a start. The NG tube will stay in for as long as he needs it. He really hates it but he knows it's doing him some good. He just doesn't like how it looks. :rolleyes: He's not feeling better and still sleeping as much as he can but he is doing better. It's just taking a lot out of him. He should be able to come home in the next day or two, maybe three but not likely. There's been some ups and downs so it's hard to tell. There's still no guarantee for the surgery but he hasn't had to cancel so I'm going to keep hoping.