- advertisement -

Update: Connor's Nail Chewing

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Nov 15, 2010.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

On a thread many months ago, I was asking for opinions about what to do about Connor's habit of chewing his fingernails off (and toenails :eek:). In the end, I decided to just let him chew them after talking to his doctor about it and getting your advice online. So thank you!

I'm happy to report that Connor has decided to stop chewing his nails, and they grew so long that I had to clip them last night :D. He said that the metal against his skin irritates him (from the clippers), so next time I'll file them down. I have no idea why he decided to stop chewing them, but I was so happy to see his intact fingernails this weekend. Yeah for Connor!

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That is good news Amy:) I think its best to not bring too much attention to habits like that, it seems to make it worse sometimes. My older son was about that age when he started chewing on his shirt. It was only at school that this happened. He would come home with the neckline sopping wet from being chewed on. He had a rather grouchy teacher that year:(

3. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Becky - Yes, I think that's what happened with Connor. Once I stopped asking him to stop biting his fingernails, he finally just lost interest. Funny that you mentioned the shirt. He wore a shirt with really long sleeves this morning, and I was afraid he'd chew on them all day. Nope. They came home dry and intact. He is able to control that impulse now. :D