- advertisement -

update about field trip

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandy092570, Oct 24, 2011.

1. mandy092570

mandy092570 Approved members

well i have talked and talked to people at the school board and still get the same thing i cant ride the bus i called the prinicpal and i told her what if i couldnt come to the field trip how would my son get his insulin she said they would call 911 and they would give my son insulin by the 504 a nurse must go with him on trips if i cant go but there tring to weasel there way out they say a teacher cant give insulin a nurse does are a parent if they would let me ride the bus it would be so much eaiser i dont know what else to do i am so fustrated!:eek:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Were you clear that if you cannot ride the bus that you cannot go and that they will then be legally obligated to send the nurse on the bus for the trip?

I don't know how much time you have, and I'm unsure about how old your child is, but if the school administration is foolish enough to think that they can call 911 and an EMT will come and give a lunch dose then they don't deserve to keep their jobs.

I think it's time to call the ADA and see if they can get involved in time. I'd ask the school to put the plan that they are proposing in writing and in all honesty, if you can't get a nurse on that bus or go yourself (on the bus) I would not send him on the trip. They sound completely incompetent. Document everything. Everything. Your child is protected by federal law to have equal access to all educational opportunities. I'm sorry this is so hard.

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

This may be a silly question but can an EMT even administer insulin? I thought they could only give an drip and take them to the hospital? I'm surprised the school would be willing to shell out a few hundred dollars for an ambulance call.

I hope you contact the ADA. I know it won't help you this time but jeeze, the principal needs a wake up call.

4. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

I find this very odd. When kids in my DS's school go on a field trip, a nurse always goes (they hire a sub for these situations). My DS had a field trip a few weeks ago, and even in third grade we had lots of parents go along. We don't have buses, so they needed parents to drive and then to help chaperone. With so many kids with allergies and such, I thought it would be required for a nurse to go along on these trips. Good luck. Wish I had a solution!

5. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I don't get it. I mean, do they really just not understand that either you, or the nurse must go, and if you go, then you have to be allowed to ride the bus?? That's just crazy. I agree that it's time to contact ADA.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

When is this field trip?

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well I would tell them that You cant go WITH him, so by the 504 a school nurse will have too.

Then I would follow the bus to the location.

8. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I agree to get their plan in writing ans contact tha ADA ASAP! They are not providing a trained person to keep him safe and by not allowing him to go is discrimination. I give you credit for not ripping the principal a new one. Keep us posted but please have the ADA appoint you a legal advocate.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If they won't let you ride the bus why not drive behind the bus? If you check him before he gets on the bus, and maybe even give him a little something to keep his bg up for the bus ride, I would think he would be fine for an hour or so bus ride. Not the perfect solution, but at least he would get to participate.

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

That is one of the most absurd things I have heard! Call 911 to have them give insulin? Seriously?! Does she realize what insulin is even for? It isn't an emergency, it is so he can eat. I'm sure this would not be appreciated by 911! I doubt that an EMT would even know what to do with insulin! Honestly! This principal needs to be reported for her stupidity!

Our school sends the nurse or a sub nurse on every field trip. I've never had to accompany my daughter on a trip. It has never even been suggested.

11. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

A few years ago, our district started asking parents going on field trips to drive themselves and their student. They say it to help with bus overcrowding and to reduce the number of buses required. We homeschool now, but in the past I have driven myself and Caleb to almost every field trip he's gone on. I prefer it that way. :cwds: