- advertisement -

Up with our first use of Novolog

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

So, I'm up waiting to retest Andy after our first use of Novolog. We're currently on Regular, NPH, and Levemir, but are switching to Novolog (not sure yet what we'll do as the basal insulin ... might do Lantus or try to keep the NPH/Levemir) next week after we complete the classes. In the meantime, we've been seeing some highs during the day at preschool so our endo went ahead and gave us some Novolog so we could correct during the day as necessary. We haven't had to use it yet, but tonight I did a major overcarb at the bedtime snack (I'll beat myself up about that later, I"m sure) and he was 345 at test time :mad:. Then, 2 and half hours later, still up there at 290. So, I figure it's time to take the plunge and see what the Novolog can do to help. Gotta say, it's scary adding a new insulin that you've never used before. We've gotten comfortable (well... you know what I mean :cwds:) using the R/NPH over the past 3 and a half years, so switching to Novolog is a little scary, but it's definitely time. We're starting to have the food fights now and that's lowered everyone's quality of life! I hope this will be a great change for Andy, but I'm more than nervous about changing a routine we've been in for years. Also, I have no idea how to react to the next number (which will be one hour after I gave the shot). Obviously, if it's still high, I can go back to bed. But what if it's 150? 80? Time to snack?? It's time to test so off I go ... wish me luck and thanks for reading!

2. Andy'sMom

Okay, just tested him and he's 251. So, he dropped 40 points in the past hour (versus 44 points in the previous 3 and half hours) so the Novolog is helping. I totally wimped on the amount, as per the formula my endo gave me, I should have given him .75 units, but I shorted it to .5 since it was our first time. Hopefully, he'll wake up under 200. I'm probably going to try to go back to sleep now until I have to get up in 2 hours:p! Hope everyone else is having a more restful night;)

3. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Seems you're offline as I'm posting, so hopefully all is now well (or on its way there) in your household. Sleep well.

4. Andy'sMom

Thanks Barbara - yes, it was a nice hour and half of sleep! Andy was 155 this morning so I'm very pleased with adding that bit of Novolog to correct. Lots more of that coming next week as we switch insulin. It's nice to finally have a mechanism for correcting versus riding it out on the R and NPH.:)

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

You could keep the Levemir as your basal, and use it twice daily if it doesn't last the whole day. Have you discussed it with the school yet? Hopefully you won't run into any problems with them giving shots.

6. CButler

CButler Approved members

I'm glad the correction worked out this time. I think you were right to be conservative especially during the night. My six year old drops 200 points on 1/4 unit of Novolog at night, but then she is also on Lantus.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Nice job on the correction. :)

Just out of curiousity, what formula did the endo give you for corrections?