- advertisement -

Up Humalog,Lantus or Both

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Oct 4, 2013.

  1. wearingtaci

    wearingtaci Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    Messages:
    374
    D strikes again,even more violently then last time. We had to back lantus down a week ago after 2 days of lows. Now we can't get her under 200,even with corrections. She is rising steadily through the night,which leads me to think she needs more lantus. Even with corrections(using the rule of 1800)her numbers are barely budging,and we can't get her under 200,which seems like a humalog issue.
    We increased lantus tonight. Should we increase her I:c too,or wait for a few days?
    I am so ready for a pump and cgm.I want it,like yesterday
    She takes lantus at night and both pens are less then a week old and are clear,kept refrigerated until we started using them,yada,yada,yada....
     
  2. jbmom1b2g

    jbmom1b2g Approved members

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2011
    Messages:
    277
    I would wait a few days to increase the other one. If you do both and she starts having lows you don't really know which one is the contributing factor.
     
  3. wearingtaci

    wearingtaci Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    Messages:
    374
    That's what I thought too. I just hate seeing these highs
     
  4. Megnyc

    Megnyc Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2012
    Messages:
    1,373
    She may just need more basal at night than during the day. I have never done MDI so hopefully someone else will chime in soon with advice on how to deal with that.

    Are you in the process of getting a pump? That would be, by far, the easiest method of doing this. You can adjust basals on the fly which is awesome so you don't have to wait a day to make changes.

    ETA: The issue I see with adjusting the lantus is that it is quite possible that things are going to change in a day or two. And then you are just going to be feeding the insulin until you can lower the lantus.
     
  5. wearingtaci

    wearingtaci Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    Messages:
    374
    We are just starting the pump process. She has an appt at the end of the month and we are going to get it started and see how fast we can safely get pumping. I really want a cgm too,but I'm not sure if insurance would cover a g4,I think I would like to avoid the 530g
     
  6. wilf

    wilf Approved members

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2007
    Messages:
    9,652
    How many units a day is she getting, and what's her weight?
     
  7. nanhsot

    nanhsot Approved members

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2,626
    We personally find that if he wakes at a good number (as in, get that overnight basal right) the rest of the day flows better. Wake high, fighting highs. Morning highs lead to insulin resistance and it seems like we're injecting water sometimes!

    I'd work on the basal first, definitely.
     
  8. nebby3

    nebby3 Approved members

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Messages:
    923
    Actually not being able to get her numbers down sounds completely like a basal issue to me. My dd is 11 and in the last year had definitely needed way more insulin at night. I'd increase lantus and get those numbers under control and then worry about the rest. If days start to go low you can either split the lantus dose or use Levemir which is meant to be twice a day.
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice