advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

untrained school staff...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rebecca King, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Rebecca King

Rebecca King Approved members

My son is being sent to an alternative school on Monday. Due to some behavior issues ie: bad attitude and being disrespectful to teacher (when his BG was 364). He has not been there before. They want me to just show up 5 minutes early on Monday to dicuss him with them. How can you possibly cover everything in 5 minutes? I am not even sure if this campus has a nurse. No one at this campus will know him. I am very scared and don't feel he would be safe there. We do not have a 504 or health plan in place yet. I have it typed and am requesting the meeting on Monday, so how ever long the school has to get that set up...is there anything i can do? Have thought that maybe i should request to just stay with him for the first day? Probably won't fly very well with the school though...Any suggestions on what to do while waiting for the 504 to be in place?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I don't know how to help but I'm sure there'll be some experienced people along to help you before Monday. I would be just as nervous as you are about leaving my child at a new school. Is it a permanent placement? I would be staying until I knew that someone understood Diabetes. :cwds:

3. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It sounds like the education is going to take longer than 5 minutes. This doesn't mean you shouldn't try. There are materials on the CWD site that you can print and give to the staff -- modifying for your situation.

You might as well state that it will take a little longer up front. I would include saying that he has been running high blood sugars lately and this causes frequent urination and thirst.

Go over his daily care plan with him. What did you tell his current school? Most don't know about Type 1 diabetes.

How old is your child? Does he take shots during the day? Does he test during the day? Does he count carbohydrates?

No child should be prohibited from going to the bathroom when needed even without diabetes.

I also sense there is more to this situation than you can or ought to explain on this forum.

5. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

First off I'd pull him out of both schools. IT is not fair that he is being placed in an alternative school where most if not all of the kids will be hardened criminals. It is out of line. I would not allow it at all IMHO. I would call the ADA hot line and tell them what they are doing. They are deny human rights and that is extremely wrong.
    Is home schooling an option?
    BTW I believe you are open to the option of sueing these people.

Anyone able to give her the ADA hot line?

6. allisa

allisa Approved members

I agree with Jess....what is up with them switching schools on you ?

Was there a meeting about this ? where you informed in a reasonable amount of time that they wanted to move him ? Were there no other schools to move him to ?

Something is NOT right about this situation. Public school can not move a child to an alternate school for one instance of disrespect. Was there a physical component to it ? Is there an ongoing issue with your child ?

Something is missing in this story.....and if there isn't.....may I suggest it is your LAWYER who is missing and needs to be with you Monday when you visit NOT the alternative school, but your old school ???

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I posted to you on the other thread about how to get in touch with the ADA and request that their legal advocate call you with advice. Please go over there and read mine and other posts to you.

The immediate problem is tomorrow. I think you are right to stay at the school until you are assured that there are people there who can care for him (including giving glucagon if he passes out, etc).

Without knowing more about why he was transferred and what the new school might offer it is hard to say if it is a bad thing for him to be going there in general. It sounds like he was not taken care of from a diabetes standpoint at his old school so I don't see what you're losing at this one - with the diabetes care. If his behavior issues are directly related to his poor diabetes care at school then he should not be at this school. Certainly either school he goes to needs to step up.

Go back to the previous thread someone posted for you and read what I wrote there about getting the ADA info.

8. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

In 90% of alternitive schools all the kids you are pregnant, not quite done enough to end up in Juvie, It's not a good place for a kid to be who did nothing valid IMHO to deserve it. The potential he could fall into the wrong crowd or get into situations that are not any better than the other school.... thats what you lose....Sure the other school sucked but IMHO the other school should have to be brought to it's knees.
    I agree intirely...In less he did something horrid like beating the teacher up while his BGL where high....If I knew the situation maybe I'd have a better stand point but they cannot move him based on diabetes or diabetes caused behavoir it's discrimination....

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

You misunderstood what I said - I said that FROM A DIABETES STANDPOINT - the old school wasn't taking care of him and we don't know if the new school would do better with the diabetes care or not. I am *not* commenting on whether it is better for him to go to this school from an academic/education standpoint. In other words, it is not like the old school was wonderful and the new school is terrible with the diabetes care - the nursing staff- etc. I did say that if the poor diabetes care is what resulted in him being sent to this school (for problem kids it sounds like) then that is wrong and he should not be switched.

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

If I were in this situation, I'd pull him out of school until his D is under control AND most importantly of all, the school is properly educated and treating him respectfully and keeping him in a safe environment.

Like the others have said, contact the ADA and get expert legal advice. I'd request a meeting with the principals and staffs at both schools and have a lawyer present and record the meeting. Get everything documented.

Does he have any behavioral problems when his BGs are in range? I try to teach my son to be responsible for his own health and well-being and I know that he gets upset if he's denied access to the bathroom. This happened to us and I met with the principal and teacher and we are no longer having any problems. If they hadn't gotten it and made accommodations in a way that made my kid feel comfortable and accepted, I would've pulled him out of school in an instant. I told him that if he's ever denied anything that's in his health plan, that he has a right to stand up for himself and leave the classroom and go to the office. Our kids need to feel empowered, so that they can feel safe. If the schools aren't understanding and cooperative, they need to find out about what Section 504 is all about and face some legal action.

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

I would be showing up 5 minutes early, but wouldn't be planning on letting my kid from my sight until everything was covered.

12. buggle

buggle Approved members

If the only issue with your son has been improperly treated D and high BGs, then putting him in a school for children with behavior problems is just wrong. Once he feels fine and is himself again and once he's in a nurturing, decent school, he should do just fine. I can't think of anything worse that making D and the symptoms from it labeled as "bad." There has to be some way to avoid all this.

13. Rebecca King

more info...

Sorry, i have emailed and told the story too many times!!....Nathan is 10 years old. he will be in the alternative school for 5 days. He takes injections of Apidra and Lantus.
    This is not his first offense. He had a rough first 6-8 weeks of school. He was disrespectful and defiant. He was never physical, just defiant. His BG's during this time were 250 and above. This was before we started seeing a pedi endo. Our first doctor was treating us like a type 2 diabetic and just told us that kids #'s were like this, they are just hard to control. I not knowing any better trusted him...Since we have seen the pedi endo, his #'s for the last five weeks have been much better. We are still working on the afternoon, because the nurse was not wanting to change his ratios without the dr. order, even though our paperwork said i could....but the endo's nurse got a hold of her fri. on the phone and that is straightened out now. So this is his first offense since his BG's have been good, but not his first offense. I didn't have enough knowledge to fight this earlier, but i think his slate should be wiped clean due to his diabetes being out of control at the time...
    The principal told me fre at 9:30am that he would have to go mon. morning. I asked could i go by there today (friday) and he said no, you will just have to go about 5 mins early on mon. This should say that they know nothing about Nathan or his needs to honestly think i can cover it in 5 mins.................

14. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

At this point, I would probably go in 5 minutes early and explain everything to the nurse and the teacher. And I would stay in the school or nearby and tell them to call to let me know what his bg readings are when they test and talk them thru what to do for highs/lows etc. I would also contact someone at the schools to plan for a homebound teacher for the rest of this week so he can be at home under your supervision while still being taught. This way, you can supervise his diabetes and try to get the numbers even better and you get get a 504 plan in place. And he won't be in a classroom full of children with behavioral problems (though it might be a good idea to observe the class some...it may not be as bad as it sounds.) As others have said, talk to the ADA and get them to help. I think your idea of having his slate wiped clean is a good one at this point due to the high numbers and lack of real medical care at the beg of the year.

BUT I would also be speaking with my son about how he is going to handle prolbems with teachers in the future. I have no idea what he is doing that they consider defiant but diabetes or not this is something kids need to learn....how to talk to teachers and others with respect. If their definition of defiance is wrong, then I'd consider finding him another school where they will have more respect for him. Not letting him go to the bathroom, diabetes or not, is crazy.

15. buggle

buggle Approved members

Remember, this is your child, not theirs. Your son's needs come first. You know your child and you know if his behavior is a result of diabetes. My son was diagnosed at the end of the school year last year. Because it was his first year ever in school and we had moved from another country (everything was new to him and there was lots of upheaval), we didn't realize that much of problem adjusting to school was diabetes. We guess that his BG's were high the entire school year, because after looking back, his gym teacher realized that his muscle strength and stamina were terrible, but since she didn't know him, she had nothing to compare it to. He had an incredibly high A1c, and we guess that the poor kid was dealing with high BG's from the very start of the year. He's a very extroverted kid who fits in well socially and I was shocked at how rough a time he had. He had trouble focusing, he burst into tears all the time, he had major meltdowns. It was horrible. And I can't tell you how guilty I feel that we missed what the real cause was. After he was treated for D, he's a different kid -- the one I knew from before.

Kids' behavior is really affected by having continuous, very high blood sugars. They are not themselves. A competent principal wouldn't make these decisions unilaterally. He would call a meeting with you, your husband, the teacher and the nurse.

I would not send my child into a new school that I knew nothing about. You have a right to go tour the school and speak to the teachers, the principal and the nurse before you agree to anything. You are the parent. You make the decisions, not the school. If you need time to get your son's D regulated, then keep him out of school on a medical leave until you feel like he's in range. Then, you have time to get a 504 together and make sure he's in the right school for him. You may find that he's better off in a totally different school altogether. It's certainly not the principal's decision to make. How does your son feel about all this? He can tell you his side of the story and what he feels comfortable doing.

You'll have a ton of support here working out those kinks with his afternoon highs. So, that part should all come together. But the school has demonstrated that you have to have a health plan and 504 in place before your son is attending school - and you really need to take control of the situation and make sure your son is in a school that you feel is best for his educational and emotional needs and that can provide a safe environment for him.

I'm sorry you and your son are going through this. It's not right.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  16. Rebecca King

Thanks! He is very respectful and obedient when his numbers are in range. He just doesn't mind the teacher when he is asked to sit up or stop talking. He tells them no. And at the beginning of school, he did get licks from the principal, he was grounded and had to sit out of some of his football practices for it. We have told him that is unacceptable and demand respect for all humans, even children, even siblings (you think if his teachers weren't getting respect, his brother and sisters did...). He was in trouble at home and school....It wasn't until we saw the pedi endo and his numbers were in range for 4 days in a row!! he was an angel, a totally different child. Then on the afternoon of day 5 he was 368 and he dot in trouble on the bus ride home for not yelling at someone towards the front of the bus after being asked to stop once already. Then i realized, maybe there is something to be Hi and being "crazy"...And everytime he begins to yell at me or tell me "no i don't have to" i have him check his BG and low and behold he is Hi. I explained this to the teacher and he and Nathan have a "code" that when the teacher sees him begin to get angry or frustrated, he hands him a blank peice of paper and asks him to go to the office to "make copies" this means go to the nurse and check your BG....this was working really well and his numbers were getting better, but they only check him at lunch unless he goes to them feeling bad. I explained to the teacher that Nathan has a hard time telling when he is Hi. When he is low, he has physical feelings and is more aware of them, when he is Hi, WE notice...it is more emotional for him and he can't tell. I think i just feel like i have let him down as a parent. I am supposed to keep him safe and i didn't. :(

17. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Rebecca,
    You didn't let him down you are good mom or you wouldn't be asking for help and trying to get things in place for him. We are here for you and I will help in anyway that I can. Don't give up you can do this you are his best advocate and when things get tough just remember that. I have your back!!!! We have to stick together for our kids! Let me know things go tomorrow I will be thinking about you guys.:cwds:

18. buggle

buggle Approved members

Rebecca,

I think we all feel guilty about our kids' struggle with D. We can see in other parents' situations that they couldn't help prevent so many things from happening. But in each of our own cases, we're always so hard on ourselves.

The guilt doesn't help anything and when we've had no experience with D, we can't expect to know what to do in every situation. The schools are supposed to treat children fairly and not force us to hire lawyers for our kids to be safe. The school is the failure here.

I wish that we could be there physically to help you out, but we're here on this forum to lend support and to yell at you for beating yourself up over things you couldn't have known.

Hang in there and don't let those schools push you around. You guys got off to a rough start with a misdiagnosis, but things will come together. They did with Brendan. Last year was very hard for us and we've had some challenges this year with his teacher, but it all seems to be coming together now. What's worked in my case at our school is finding allies and not allowing your child to be mistreated -- but also being respectful and willing to work with the teacher/staff to make things as easy for them as possible. We do have to have them on our side, but they need to be aware of how this disease works and how to help our kids. I think your idea of a code is a very good idea, so you are finding ways to deal with this. There are some things we can't help, like periodic highs or lows that our kids will have, no matter how hard to work at management. We need the schools to back us up and help our kids in those situations. When Brendan was not allowed to go to the bathroom when he was high and then docked recess time for having to go to the office to check his BG and get a correction shot, he said that he was being punished for having diabetes. I never want him to feel that way again. I felt like a failure for not protecting him too, but in the end it's all worked out ok. I'm sure there'll be more rough patches in the future, but we can deal with them even if it is daunting.

Do you have anyone to go in with you tomorrow? You can always postpone the meeting and ask for another one once you have legal help from ADA and find out what they're wanting to do and if it's best for Nathan.

It's hard enough to try to deal with this disease without the schools making it so much harder. What's happened to you guys is really unfair.

19. AshleysMama

AshleysMama Approved members

Ditto on everything said. ;) You are not alone.

20. Rebecca King

Thanks, you guys have made me feel a little better. Now the pitty party is over and the fight is on!!! I made a "letter to the substitue teacher" tonight and will take it the school tomorrow, along with the symptom sheet for high and low and what they need to do. It is not a 504 or health plan, but it does cover what he needs and will at least show that they were informed of what needs to happen for him to be safe. Thanks goes out to Mom of Kellse for that tip!!:)