- advertisement -

Untethering

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jlh0920, May 3, 2013.

1. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

Now that it's summer, the same old issues of our pump not being waterproof are starting to come up.. we are thinking of untethering and starting lantus. Would love to hear of other's experience or tips on this process. Did it take several weeks to get adjusted or was it fairly simple to supplement part of the basal with the lantus? Those who have waterproof pumps (omnipod and Ping I think?)- are you happy with your pumps and do you have any problems with them during water activities?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

First, any pump is waterproof until it gets it's first ding - then even the ping isn't waterproof anymore!

We are untethered and have been for a little over a year now. My daughter has no intention of going back to full time. She loves the freedom of not being attached.

For me though, it is rougher - much rougher. Now we are adding another troubleshooting issue - it isn't just the pump anymore, it is also 'did she forget her Lantus?'. Then, there are no temp basals when she is running a bit low, it is all carbs, every time. And forget about variable basals. You have to tweak your carb ratios to remain steady during the day - her breakfast is 1:2 - how insane is that :eek:! But it is the only way we can prevent the spike. Her A1C did go up when we switched to untethered, but there were some emotional issues going on as well and we keep nudging it down a little at a time.

Untethered IS a new challenge. We do it because SHE loves it, not me.

3. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

We untethered last summer and we all really liked it. We do take pump breaks once in a while and we find adjusting to lantus takes about three days. Total basal usage is not exactly the same as your total daily dosage for lantus and it does seem to take a few days for the lantus to maybe "build up" in his system. He seems to need slightly more lantus than his total daily basal would suggest he needs but YDMV.

We found that going untethered worked really well and if we needed a temp basal up (even with lantus in him) we could just connect him and run a temp basal up. If we need a temp basal down we would have him sip gatorade. I know that it is not ideal to chase insulin with carbs but sometimes that is a trade off we are willing to make if it adds to the overall quality of life around here.

DS did get an omnipod last fall and did swim with it over the winter. We have not really discussed going untethered for the summer here because summer still seems weeks away.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we have been untethered for over a year now and her A1c is more consistant. For us it is easier to think about, since we can not temp basal up or down we have to think about the BG/the meal/ and the activity before and after the bolus. Hook up bolus and unhook and be off. We have CGM too so that helps.

I did allot of temp basals and super bolusing with the pump trying to deal with having the pump off for hours at a time during dance/cheer/ and water play. If we were in a pool I would leave the pump on but at the water park or in a lake/ocean we still needed to take the pump off, out of fear of lossing it.

My daughters pump lives with her meter in the case, the only time she hooks up is to bolus. Except if we are on a car ride or party/bingo when hooking up and unhooking is either chalanging or will happpen allot in a short amount of time. Some will hook up to temp basal up, but but my dd does not the pump on her so I just overbolus abit if I am trying to get numbers inline. I give her this freedom because we do not with the cgm, that is on her 24/7.

we give Lantus at bedtime, we do see a peak with Lantus but she has the highest basal need in the early nght so that works for us most of the time.

5. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

We have a ping

I let my daughter wear her pump to swim lessons, bathe with it, go to water parks, and wear it 24/7 though our week long trip to Myrtle Beach last year, even in and out of the hot tubs quickly. While it is true that it could leak if you have even the slightest crack I personally have not had a problem. Our pump is three years old and has a full warranty but just because this has worked for us doesn't mean it would everyone.

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

So, there's another thread today about the iport -which is a port for delivering MDI. Being untethered is essentially like using one of these ports right?

With the i-port you dial up/draw up the bolus amount and deliver through the port and being untethered, you connect up and deliver the bolus?

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we have had a hairline crack in the battery compartment and had a rusting battery after a trip to the beach. But the pump did not malfuntion or anything, did not even know about it until I went to replace the battery. Animas replaced the pump without any issue.

We were 100% pumping from 18months till age 7.5 ish, I wish I would have tried untethered ealier with her. The fact that she does not get ketones with a bad site, or if a site is ripped off/falls off and we can take out time without worry of ketones.

It is amaizing on how happy she is without the pump attached. With that said we will be trying out the Omnipod starting next week.

8. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

We want to try untethered so that Andrew doesn't have to wear the pump to play football, starting in June. He doesn't mind wearing the pump the rest of the time, so we're not sure whether to try replacing all the basal or just enough for practices and running a low basal the rest of the time so that we can still do temp basals. We currently use Apidra in the pump. Do those of you who are untethered stop delivery or run a low basal to keep it from occluding?

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes the i-portis used with syrindges or pen-tops.

and un-tethered is using the pump to hook up to a pump site and deliver a bolus and then disconneting. A pump site is like half of a buckle and the tubing is the other half of the buckle.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we just let the basal run.

11. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Thank you!

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Would the Omnipod Cut-The-Cord accomplish much the same without losing the benefits of temp basals?

13. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

When we do the waterparks I usually just take pump off for an hour here and there. We do take a few snack breaks and lunch so pump will go back on for a little while so she is never off the pump for too long.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

i know this was not directed to me but we are in the same boat.

MY dd LOVES not having the pump on her. She is a dancer, dancing at least 3 times a week in tank tops and bootie shorts much of that time, and the pump site is so small that it is not that noticable. But the Dexcom is much bigger and can get in the way depending on where it is.

Her biggest issue is that when dancing and tumbling if she is learning something new or trying to get more limber the site can get in the way on either the arms or legs. Teachers/student are caught off gaurd when they go to lift her or manuver her limbs or spot her when they see or feel a site.

So while the omnipod is much much smaller, it can not be removed and thought has to be given when placing it.

My ideal solution, aside from a CURE, is the Solo pump but that one seems dead in the water now.

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

I have tried tried tried to get her interested. She 100% does not want to Pod. I am hoping that the smaller pods might change her mind.