- advertisement -

Untethered

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JohnMom, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

I am still learning the pump terminology since I am an MDI user. Though our MM522 comes on Friday. Kaiser does not give you much of a choice. Well anyways what does untethered mean?

2. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Untethered means using Lantus as a percentage of your basal- eg 60% from Lantus, 40% fast acting pump basal.
    Its advantages are that you can disconnect for longer and if theres a pump problem, it will be less serious because you have some background insulin working.
    Its disadvantages are that you don't get the full benefit of the variable basal rates or temp basal rates. You also obviously need an injection of Lantus every day in addition to wearing the pump.
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/clinic/untethered.htm

3. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

A few parents who follow the untethered method on their kids post here, so expect some more feedback :)

4. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

We started doing the untethered method a few months ago after 5 yrs of regular pumping.

Jess gets 70% of her basal from lantus, and 30% from the pump.

We still have variable basal rates set up, but it obviously isnt as flexible as with regualr pumping. We started this a few months ago in anticipation of summer swimming. She is disconnected most of the day. Before, she would always check every 2 hrs, and then connect for a bolus correcction if needed. This just gives her alittle more freedom..

Alot of endos are up to date with the untethered method, and there are only a few articles, mostly be the same person about it (that I have found). When we asked our endo, she said she has several patients doing it.. it works for some, some it doesnt.

I am glad I know how to do regular pumping, but it didnt hurt us to try the untethered method. I am sure when summer is over, we will probably go back to the old way.