- advertisement -

Untethered is great!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, May 12, 2012.

1. Safoo

Safoo Approved members

Wow 18 months old and on a pump, did you do it that way because of the needle factor or was it for other reasons?

My 2 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with T-1, but our Endo said she was way to young for a pump...thus my question.

Thx and I'm glad it works for you!

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Infants have been sent home from the hospital on pumps, so 2 years old is definitely not too young, if you are committed to the process! My son received his pump in the mail on his third birthday, and it has worked out really well for him. If it had been up to me, he would have been pumping three months earlier (2 months after diagnosis), but despite the support of our clinic, my husband took some convincing. The flexibility and small dosages afforded by the pump make it ideal for toddlers/preschoolers!

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It really depends on the doctor. Some are all for it, some aren't all that keen. We were speaking to our endo about the problems we were having after a day at the beach with having to play catch up all night long. She suggested this approach and it is the best thing that works for us in the summer.
    There are a few people here who do it all the time.

4. LMJenkins

LMJenkins New Member

Untethered

For our family, we untether by taking a Lantus shot each day, and still using the pump. Because we are disconnected so much during the day to swim, we were getting high blood sugars and this has helped.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

both, she never has been ok with shots But really she never had a honeymoon and has needed all of her carbs covered, but is a small eater. Still today she does not eat more that 40 carbs for a lunch/dinner on a regular basis.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am not sure, we have know about it for a very long time and really wish we would have done it when she was cheerleading. Her endo staff still was reluctant, saying if she want to be off the pump then she should just off the pump, but this is not the best option for our family and school situation.

It is the best of both worlds, I truly think.

7. G' S MOM

G' S MOM Approved members

Type I insn't exact and yes sometimes you have to think outside the box.... we started last week doing split basal and will have to tweak a bit I know. Right now... 50% basal via Ping and 50% via Lantus pen, with 1 injection. We are doing this to help with the rollercoaster effect that sports has on BS. It is working!
    :D

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

my old post!
    Well sports is what got us to the unteetheethered too. My dd was doing cheerleading and being unhooked for over 2 hours 3-4 days a week was killing her numbers.

We are 100% basal from Lantus given at night, because for one it is the easiest time for us and 2nd, she has a spike about an hour after she falls into a good sleep.

we started school a few weeks ago and had to raise the Lantus from 7.5 to 9 and hoping that it works out this year.

SHE loves it and honestly we have only had a few issues.

Forgetting to hook her up to the pump before bolusing.

The connector getting cloggedup since it is not connected to a site. Fixed that with a site attached to a postit.

But the best thing!!!
    No ketones with a site that has come off or has gone bad.