- advertisement -

University in 1 month

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by emm142, Aug 26, 2011.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My university are being really accommodating, I'm allowed to take a fridge for my room and things are looking good. That said, I still feel nervous about going to university with diabetes, and google searches are bringing up nothing - I just want to find loads of people who are saying "it's fine, don't worry" etc!

So, I just thought I'd post here and ask whether anyone with a child who has been through this before has any particular things that they think I should know before I go that I might not have thought about yet? I'm not so much worried about being away from my family, as I manage independently - it's more that I'm used to everyone knowing about my D at school, and they had all built up an impression of me as a person before they started hearing all about my diabetes... When I get to uni, I don't want to have to introduce myself first and foremost as a PWD, but then.. I kind of have to make people aware of it? Bah! :confused:

So basically, a very open ended question. Any advice is most welcome, really! ;)

2. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

One tip I have is to use masking tape and tape your glucagon kit to the post of your bed (that is if the beds there are anything like the dorm style beds in the US) - this way, you and your roomies always know where it is...

Also, make sure whatever low stuff you use (juice boxes,candy, etc.) are understood to be OFF LIMITS to roomies, friends, etc.

What else? I would say as far as registering with the office of disabilities (or whatever the equivalent is at Cambridge) is up to you COMPLETELY... I never did at either of the schools I attended, 1 being a HUGE public university in Wisconsin, and the other being a medium sized community college (2 year school) in Illinois. I just told all my teachers individually and very matter of factly so they wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but so that they were at least aware for if my diabetes were to ever cause me to miss school, need to leave class, etc. I never had ANY accomodations for my diabetes, whether official or not (gee, can you tell I'm PROUD of that fact?! Made it through nursing school with no diabetes issues ever causing problems...).

Em - if you have any questions, if you ever need to talk or anything, Tricia Moore on Facebook - pic of a dog is my profile pic, and I belong to the Wisconsin and Lake County networks... or feel free to PM me here.

Good luck, and remember to HAVE FUN!!!! :D

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I'm just about to take my daughter to college back east (some people flee from hurricanes...we like to chase them!) Molly has been chatting with her roommate for a month...after around a week or so, she mentioned in an fb message that she had D and it probably wouldn't involve her at all except to maybe hear her complaining about being high/low and keeping various sorts of candy handy in the room. Her roommate responded very well and then shared with Molly that she's on meds for mild depression and ADHD...so everyone has their issues to deal with!;) Molly felt that after a while of communicating, it would be strange not to mention it...so she did. Molly is waiting until she gets there to talk about the glucagon kit. We have an expired kit and she's going to give a demo to her roommate and RA (resident advisor). She plans on saying that they will probably never need to use it...but just good to know.

We recently met another college graduate with D who said that she didn't tell a lot of people on her dorm floor, and she later found out that there were wild rumors as to what the heck she had clipped to her. Some thought it was a chemotherapy dispenser...pager...strange cell phone/calculator...etc.!

Best of luck at school! I hope you get lots more information from others at college/university.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I never registered with the disability office either - mostly because it hadn't occurred to me to do so, and no one suggested I should. I was diagnosed halfway through college, but I changed schools after my dx so effectively I was starting fresh at that point (I also took an entire year off, but not because of D, and I changed colleges to pursue a different major).

I had let most of my professors know I had diabetes mostly so that if I needed to snack or excuse myself to deal with an issue, it wouldn't be a problem, and it never was a problem (I actually only had to leave a class once in three years). If I had anticipated requiring special accommodations for testing or things along those lines it may have been different, but I didn't.

You can be as open or as discreet about it as you wish - it's your choice, just as it will be when you are finished with university.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thanks everyone. I will be registering with the disabilities office, not for special accomodations really, only to be able to eat in class and have people aware.

I've been able to make it through school very well without any kind of accomodations other than having my meter, pump and glucose with me at all times, and I'd like to keep that going. The only thing would be, my exams will be 3 hours wrong.. it wouldn't be completely unheard of for me to start at 150 and test at 20something half way through, KWIM? I feel like I might need some kind of accomodation if I did have a bad low during an exam.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Obviously I'm not a parent of a college kid, but wanted to ask/suggest something. Is your room in a building supervised by someone from the school?? If so, can an extra Glucagen kit be kept in this person's fridge?

That's all. I hope things go well. One of my cousins is also moving to England (Essex, I think) to do her studies.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Essex is where I live right now. :)

I'm not really sure about how the arrangements are going to be. I think I'll just go to the disabilities office when I get there and chat with them about it. I've never needed glucagon before, so on the one hand I'm kind of casual about it.. but then I obviously get that nagging thought about what could happen if I do.