advertisement

Ungh .... Meter Comparison

Discussion in 'Glucose Meters' started by swellman, Jun 26, 2012.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

So, after our PDM failed and we scrambled to get a backup meter we ended up with the following collection (all Abbott):

Insulet Old Style (non-color) PDM
    Insulet New Color PDM
    Freestyle Freedom
    Freestyle Lite
    Precision Xtra

I tested them all side-by-side with the same control solution and got the following results:

82 Insulet Old Style (non-color) PDM
    80 Insulet New Color PDM
    78 Freestyle Freedom
    90 Freestyle Lite
    118 Precision Xtra

I have absolutely no idea what to think at this point. The range on the strips were 83-125 with nothing stated on the Xtra.

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Scary isn't it? But the first 3 readings are really virtually the same, and the 4th one is only a little bit off from the others. The truth is that all the numbers we work with in diabetes care are really estimates. Blood glucose meters vary, the amount of carbs is an estimate (even in a packaged, labeled food), the amount of insulin we draw up in a syringe (we TRY to get the exact amount, but....). And that doesn't even include the human variations. Biology is not as easily measurable as chemistry or physics.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I don't know if this makes a difference, but our Precision Xtra had a different control solution than the Freestyles. The range was printed on the bottle, and you could get high or low (can't remember if there was anything in between) solutions.

ETA: There is a mid control solution.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members