- advertisement -

Unexplained highs...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by smdurrell, Jul 19, 2010.

1. smdurrell

smdurrell Approved members

Hi all. My DD is 15 and was diagnosed almost 3 years ago. We have had all the fun.. the honeymoon, the hormonal jumps etc.. for about a week now.. she has been having unexplained highs... they come out of the blue and we can't figure them out. For instance, this evening at 8 o'clock, she was 88. That's good. She had no snack.. nothing. Two hours later, I had her check it again before bed.. just to see. She was 232. WHAT????
    I don't get it... has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks..

Stacey:confused:

2. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

I am rather new to this... but I am finding the fatty food delay to really hamper our evening BGs. What was for dinner?

We had pizza tonight and I just put him to bed at a nice 118... I would bet he will be high at 12am when I test again.

3. courtneysmom

courtneysmom Approved members

After about 2.5 yrs dealing with d that happens to us often. I have stopped looking for answers cause it changes on a daily basis. I can feed Courtney the same thing eveyday with the same activity and bg will be different. It would be nice if there was some kinda pattern we could actually use.

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Hi Stacey --

I do see those same things (my daughter is 13), at the same time of night. I chalk it up to either 1)hormones or 2) a fat spike from dinner, but it could just be the randomness of T1. Since you've had them for a week, I would guess its hormone related (but I'm certainly no md).

If you are pumping a temp basal or a new pattern can help with this.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  5. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

There are several plausible explanations, but everyone is different and there may be NO explanation.

Couple of things: Who is doing the actual BG checking? You sure she's washing her hands before the higher BG check? What happens to her BG between bedtime and breakfast? Who is giving the insulin? What time of day she she take Lantus? One dose or two? Is the dinner Humalog before or after dinner? What's her activity level? What's she eating for lunch, mid-afternoon snack (if she's having one)? Where is she in her menstrual cycle? One or all of these factors "could" be contributing.

6. smdurrell

Thanks guys. You have all helped me consider the possibilities. Hannah does her own monitoring... we check her meter frequently.. and she does a good job. She get her Lantus in the AM. We are not on the pump.. but it is most definitely in our future.

Her activity level has been lower than usual lately too because of the HEAT. Swimming is an option, and we have been encouraging that. I appreciate your input.

We have an appointment with the Endo in August.. and I am going to get the ball rolling on the pump. We have homeschooled her since kindergarten, but she will start ninth grade at the local "real" school next month. MANY changes going on here... :) :)

7. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

We have been having this issue as of late also. We are newby's my daughter was just diagnosed on memorial day, but for almost 3 weeks she has been running in the low 100's and even 70's and 80's it has been so great and then yesterday and today we have seen 318, 265, 300 and then some normal numbers too, i dont know what is going on, driving me crazy

Angie
    Brookie's mom

8. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Only every day!

Try to fix the 232, try to find a common pattern for it... but often there is no answer.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

But there is an answer ... they have Type 1. :rolleyes:

10. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

She may be producing a variable amount of her own insulin since she is so newly diagnosed. Hopefully your endo explained the "honeymoon" phase?

11. smdurrell

LOL!!! I like your answer!!

~ Hannah has been leveling out again.. probably hormones. I think when she does this (about the same time every month ) I will give her a bit more Lantus...the nurse seemed to think it was ok as long as we watch for lows....

Diabetes: It's an art...not a science.

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Do you let her go to bed at 88? Or did you just not give her anything because she wasn't going to bed?

How long after her last fastacting was the 88 at 8pm, and what time did she go to bed?

She probably just needs another unit of Lantus:cwds: But I would need to know more to be sure:cwds:

BTW, do you give her the Lantus shot in the bootie?:D