- advertisement -

Unexplained Diarrhea...is it high bs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannonb, Jan 23, 2006.

1. shannonb

shannonb Approved members

Hi,
    I've got a newly dx 2yo that has occasional diarrhea. Today he had a very high reading (500) and then a diarrhea diaper a couple hours later. I'm wondering if maybe high bs can cause diarrhea. I'm hoping it's not the beginning of a food allergy. I don't think I could take that on top of the D dx...

Anybody else have random diarrhea? I cut out fruit just to see but he still eats wheat and milk etc. W:eek: ith the high number today I'm wondering if they are linked.

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. ctwetten

ctwetten Approved members

I'm 19 and was diagnosed a year and a half ago. I've been in pretty good control ever since then. I've been having problems with diarrhea for the past 6 months or so. :eek: I was really worried that it was a food alergy, especially since celiac runs in my family, but I got all the tests done and they were negative. :) The doctor says he things it's irritable bowel syndrome. I'm off caffeine and milk (not dairy, just milk) right now and it seems to help. I also just started a perscription medecine and that seems to help.
    Anyway, I know that a lot of this won't apply to your son. Mainly I just wanted to let you know that I've had unexplained diarrhea since being diagnosed and although I was really scared about celiac or something it turned out ok.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would say that the problem that caused the diarrhea also caused the high blood sugar. The body is under stress which results in high sugar. When the problem goes away, the sugar goes down. This happens with my son when he is constipated -- his sugars go up and then back down when all passes out.

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

A two year old with the runs and diabetes can quickly become dehydrated. It's very important that you monitor frequently for presence of ketones. You should call the ped endo and discuss the high blood sugar and status of ketones and diarrhea and ask what the doctor wants you to do. Make sure your little one stays hydrated. Good luck

5. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

I would have to agree with Ellen and Amy on this one. I've had D for over 26 yrs and it does not cause diarrhea. Something else is causing the diarrhea, which in turn causes the high would be my guess.

I know at least a day in advance of either me or my son getting sick - showing a lot more insulin resistance.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  6. shannonb

shannonb Approved members

Thanks everybody for the replies. I've talked to the nurse and am now keeping a poo journal ;). I'm trying to link it back to food (hopefully not an allergy!). That day he did eat like a whole bowl full of nuts (too much fiber maybe) and on other days he's had a lot of fruit. Hopefully with tracking it I'll be able to find some links.

The dr. did mention caelic (sp?) or a gluten resistance...ughhh please no!!! But he eats wheat all day every day so maybe since it's so sporadic that's not it.

Thanks again for the advice!
    Shannon
    Kurt (7/27/03) dx 12/12/05
    Calvin (5/29/05) so far so good...