- advertisement -

Under the dome

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mom2Hanna, Jun 24, 2013.

1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I know ydmv...but her "DKA" symptoms looked a lot like a severe low to me! :eek:

2. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

That's exactly what I thought - they seem to have Highs and Lows reversed, and not understand the basics. Which is annoying beyond belief. Then again, it's sadly no surprise... (and regardless, it does make me mull the idea of keeping a stash of insulin somewhere).

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I thought the same thing about the symptoms. But I think they did 'ok' for a TV show. They didn't show anything that could potentially harm a person, such as withholding sugar while low. They kept the insulin in the fridge, even if it was the door, which I thought was good. They stressed how dangerous Type 1 is. I mean, what the people will remember is this:

1. Type 1 can be dangerous
    2. People experiencing an 'episode' are not always in control of themselves
    3. Insulin is critical to their survival

4. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

What I hope is that people don't connect the dots, based on what the show says, and create an even more dangerous situation:

"Type 1 can be dangerous and make you have an episode, and it's likely because you didn't take your insulin. So, you need insulin when you're hallucinating and on the brink of wandering out into the street in front of oncoming traffic..."

What I'll remember:

"During an apocalyptic event, don't keep my insulin in the butter compartment as usual. That's the first place insulin-thieves will look."

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

JIK? :confused:

LOL, JIK there's a "dome"??:rolleyes:

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Haha! :D:D

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

I agree about the butter drawer. I honestly think you are giving the general public to much credit. They never said she was high or low, they never showed her getting insulin, they just showed a disoriented woman who has diabetes and insulin is important.

The general public won't be diabetes aware enough to put two and two together.

8. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

That's exactly what I said! I said she'd be barfing in the street, not stumbling around confused walking in front of trucks. DH also thought they gave her the entire vial of insulin as a "dose", but I didn't catch that part.

9. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

Spoiler!

Not to spoil last nights episode as sad as it was, But for TV not a horrible job. My dd watched and just said 'mom, get me loads of insulin- please'. I liked how last week the daughter chose not to steal all the little boys insulin, even though he said diabetes was not that big a deal.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Personally I do like that she did not die front "diabetes" just her heart gave out!

I have not read the book, is hter more D story lines to come?

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I saw it differently. It was related to diabetes. Her partner Carolyn said that her body was just too stressed (due to not having enough insulin) and so she had a heart attack and died.

I was disappointed they killed off the character with diabetes but I guess they would have had to do it at some point if they wanted to be realistic.

12. KellersMom517

KellersMom517 Approved members

I don't remember a character with D in the book, so I think that was a just for TV situation. In the book, the girl with the seizures was Angie I think right?

Anyway - yeah, catastrophe, apocalypse, etc type stories scare the behooey out of me now. I even told our endo that my biggest fear was a disaster happening where we couldn't get enough insulin. I can't even think about it without having a panic attack.