advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under the dome

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mom2Hanna, Jun 24, 2013.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Anyone else catch the teen girl with diabetes. Crap.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just makes one glad that Steven King doesn't actually make the rules ;)

Some time ago, when Maddie and I were watching one of the PBS "House" series, this one I think, http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/ she noticed and said, "Mom, I wouldn't be alive, would I?" :(

Yeah! for the real 21st century!:D:cwds:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  3. mom2Hanna

Hanna has a morbid fascination with post-apocalyptic stories. They just creep me out. I just read Diabetes Rising although I didn't finish it, it did make me pretty happy to be living now!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I used to love post-apocalyptic fiction... now, not so much :rolleyes:

But Maddie was looking at some computer game recently and it was just that - new ice age and this character mom had to go out in the blizzard to seek medicine for her sick child and she works her way into this bunker of meds and finally breaks into it and she looks around and cries, "Insulin!, nothing but INSULIN!!" OMG did we laugh :p

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have no idea about the actual topic of this thread.

But it does remind me to stock my friends fridges with some Lantus!

(my hubby and friend have already vowed to use the arresnal to get insulin if need be because even with "d" she is a strong fighter with a good heart and will be not the last picked kiddo)

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ya, diabetes kinda takes the fun out of those kind of shows.

Was going to watch it until I heard about the character with diabetes. Can't bring myself to watch it, it literally gives me an anxiety attack to think about it. Now, I know the odds of this happening are non-existent, but I then start thinking about disasters and it just gets me anxious. Hard not to think about worse case scenarios.

LOL, living where we do I have lots of friends who are prepared for the end of the world. We know to drive to their house if anything freaky ever happens:p

7. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I read the book probably more than 1/2 way through. Eventually I got bored with it and put it down. Awhile later I tried to finish it but ended up skimming through it just to get to the ending. And I though the ending was kind of lame.

I really think sometimes King has no idea how the story he is writing is going to end but eventually has to come up with something. I was disappointed with the end of "It" too. I threw that book at the wall. It was great for 1000 pages...

I'm still going to watch the series. I just cringe at the though of how much D stuff they probably will get wrong. So she pulled out of that seizure how?

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

We just watched it. Actually, the mother of the teen girl is the one who has diabetes. With all the other character development going on in the show, I doubt there will be much focus on diabetes, but I could be wrong. In the premiere it is just a single line of dialogue mentioning that the mother needs insulin. It looks like a pretty good show so I am hoping they either get their facts right or they don't make diabetes a central theme in the plot. King is usually pretty good with facts in his stories, and since he has a hand in the show maybe they won't screw up too bad.

Danielle really likes science fiction, so we do watch shows like Revolution and Falling Skies, but I am like Sarah, now when I see shows where the world goes to hell, I think about how bad it would be for someone in our situation and it kind of takes the excitement out of it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  9. Lee

Lee Approved members

I always think this of King's stories - which is why I LOVE his short stories. Oh, and the Mom - the T1 - didn't have the seizure, their kid did, and another, so I am sure we will learn why soon (I plan on reading the book soon!)

I think this is going to end up being a small crisis later on in the series - I need insulin or else type of story!

Also, Coco loves zombies. So we watch the shows all the time. She did make the connection between an apocalypse and her own death. This made me sad, but she took it well.

10. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Unfortunately when my DD was dxd, I had read a couple of post apocalyptic novels with diabetic characters. I spent the first night in the hospital not sleeping on the nightmare fold out bed thinking about worse case scenarios and those stupid plot lines. I still think about it sometimes. I don't read them anymore. But my husband does, and he recently read one that shook him up so bad, he threw the book away (a serious crime in our house) and he made me promise never to read it. Something about a dad and his diabetic daughter.

11. mom2Hanna

Whoops, caught the insulin reference and thought it was the kid. I was annoyed later when she had the seizure and they didn't say anything, my bad!

Hanna really likes sci-fi also, she wants to travel with the Dr.

12. Christopher

And they both mumbled the same things when they were convulsing, so pay attention to that (hint, hint) ;)

13. LJM

LJM Approved members

I was relieved that it was not a diabetes related seizure---it has something to do with the wall (and it is Mom as Chistopher says--with D, not kid). I rather enjoyed the show. DS caught the diabetes line--and just glanced at me but did not otherwise talk about it. We will be watching it because I am a sucker for the post-apocalyptic stuff (not sure what that says about me).

14. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I haven't watched it. Is it a show?

About the post apocalyptic things, I use to think about that, too. My friends all joke they would raid all the Hospital's for insulin LOL. For real though, if everything really truly were to hit the fan like that, if most of the people in my life I care about are all gone etc. etc. I honestly, wouldn't worry that much about surviving.

I read those stories of people with bunkers under their house, and 10+ years worth of food if they have to stay under there.

But I have to ask...why? I wouldn't want to live like. Just to prolong the inevitable? I don't mean to sound morbid. I don't want to live just for the sake of living if 99% of the Earths population is gone, and zombies are running around

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I would just prefer not to die of DKA. When I have been in DKA it was terrible I fell down and projectile vomited several times in quick succession. I was in a lot of pain and very weak.

16. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Tonight's show is confusing re: T1D. The partner of the mother w/ Type 1 is concerned about her having enough insulin and cautions her to eat! Ummm...there is a problem there!

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think the point was that she is taking minimum insulin as it is and barely eating. At least that is what I got out of it, and in that type of situation I would be worried about ketones building, eating and bolusing would help.

18. Christopher

What Alice said was "I took insulin but didn't eat". Danielle and I both looked at each other and said huh??? So if you know you only have a limited supply of insulin, why would you take it and not eat?
    Then Carolyn runs off to get her something to eat. I guess it is possible she took insulin and was planning on eating and then got busy with helping out at the hospital and forgot to eat.

Here is an snippet from an interview with the actor who plays Alice:

How do you think you would react if a dome fell and trapped you?
    "I'd like to believe that I would participate in the community and be a part of people pulling together and being really smart about our resources and helping one another -- in our particular circumstance, being a family unit ... If something was to happen to part of my family, I don't know what I'd do. My character's Type 1 diabetes is going to become an issue. The ethics around having access to insulin in a hospital and knowing there won't be much of it raises some interesting questions. I would like to believe I would do the right thing ... If I had a child and my child was in jeopardy, I don't know what I'd do."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  19. Christopher

Well, it only took six episodes before the character with diabetes is in the hospital on her deathbed. :rolleyes: To make it worse they kept referring to people with diabetes as "diabetics". Just a pet peeve of mine. Oh well

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yah but the dd only stole one vial from the kiddo with D.

I just refilled our insulin and plan on stocking up for the rest of the year and distributing to our friends refigerators, JIK.