- advertisement -

Unbelievable! I'm in shock

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KatieJane'smom, Dec 29, 2009.

1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

SEE UPDATE ON NEXT PAGE I had a couple of foot surgeries last week (same foot) and went to the doc today for followup. He took the cast off - the incision for one surgery looks great and the other one.....well, the stitches had all ripped out & there is a huge 4 inch gaping hole across the back of my heel. It's horrible! It's about 3/4 inch wide and deep. I will have to have another surgery to fix it.

Now the question is whether or not I ripped the achilles tendon that he just repaired. There is a big goose egg size swollen bump above the surgery site that he thinks is a tendon "bundle" from a ripped tendon but it looked okay on the xray he took. Tomorrow I go for a CT scan (he wanted MRI but there are metal anchors in my heel) to see how extensive the damage is before he schedules another surgery to start repairing this mess.

Please pray that the tendon is in good shape and the repair he did held. That's the most serious thing - that the tendon is still holding on. And that I don't get an infection in that big wound back there before he can do surgery on it which will most likey be next week.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

yikes!! Sounds so painful!!
    What are they doing for the open wound until your surgery??? Are you on antibiotics???

3. Toni

Toni Banned

Awful! I will pray everything is going to be all right. Can't believe something like this could happen. P.S. Do you trust the surgeon and/or need to get a second opinion?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  4. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I hope all is going to be OK. I will be praying for you. I didn't know you had surgery I must have missed that.

5. KatieJane'smom

He put a 1/2 cast on it and I will probably start changing the dressing tomorrow. It all depends on what the CT scan shows.

No antibiotics right now. The wound looks clean - no signs of infection. I'm just especially paranoid about it because my cousin tore her achilles and got MRSA infection after the surgery. She almost lost her foot and it took an entire year to get it repaired. That's just the first thing that went through my head when he took the bandage off and we saw that huge hole. So it's just me worrying.

Doc's main concern is that the achilles tendon didn't rip. He's very worried because of the big bump above the surgery site.

6. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Ouch!! I'm hurting for you!!! Sorry this happened. Time to let the kids take care of you. Lazyboy, here you come!!!

7. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

Oh, how awful. I pray you get some good news.

8. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

What a horror. Here's hoping 2nd time's the charm!

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Kristi Im so sorry you have to be going through all this now. I hope the next surgery goes real well and everything heels up nicely

10. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Sorry that happened and hope the next surgery is soon and takes care of everything. Like a pp said, time for you to get waited on!

11. Noel

Noel Approved members

Oh good golly that sounds painful!! Here's hoping for a speedy, HEALTHY recovering!

Keep us posted on how you make out!

12. etringali

etringali Approved members

what? No pictures! Just kidding :D (maybe) HOpe no infection develops, the tendon behaves the way the dr hopes and everything gets fixed and healed beautifully.

13. KatieJane'smom

LOL! It WAY too gross for pictures. I promise it would make you lose your lunch, for sure!

The CT scan showed that my Achille's tendon did tear and is re-coiled up into my calf (hence the huge knot on the back of my leg). The surgery incision looks worse than ever. It has opened up even more and is really deep. I can see things in there that I can't even figure out what they are?? (muscles, nerves?? bone? I don't think I want to know!!)

I'll have surgery, AGAIN, on Thursday morning. The doc is going to try to do a nerve block as opposed to intubating me because they had such a problem with it last time and had so much swelling. Hopefully he can find the tendon, re-attach it and have enough to work with to close the wound. And, hopefully, I can not freak out while he's doing all that and I'm awake for it.

14. kajumom

kajumom Approved members

OMG you poor thing! I will pray for you and a complete recovery. Make those kiddos help you out!!!

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am so sorry that happened. Shoot, I wouldn't want to be awake either. Hopefully the nerve block will work and then they can give you a sedative to help you sleep through it but not be intubated. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that the surgery to repair the tendons and close up the wound, etc. will go well and you will recover quickly. (((hugs)))

16. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

I'm so sorry you are having such an awful time. Hope this surgery fixes everything. Best of luck.

17. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

owwwwwieee!!!!!

Can you have a stiff drink before you go in??

I hope everything goes well you poor thing!

18. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

I'm so sorry you're having such complications! I had surgery in 12/04 due to a spur calcifying into the achilles, right where it attaches to the bone. I also had the plate/screws to hold the achilles in place, but I ended up being allergic (doc's best guess) to the plate/screws, so my incision didn't heal but developed fibrous tissue. I ended up wearing a wound vac and being in wound care for 18 months. I have the ugliest foot known to man now, but it works!

I hope the next surgery goes well and you heal quickly with no problems! I work for a podiatrist in the far north Dallas area and I read him your original post. He said that what happened to you unfortunately is an unfortunate complication but can be fixed.

19. etringali

etringali Approved members

Don't be so sure about that!