- advertisement -

UHC only offering One Touch test strips at Tier 1 pricing.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by msschiel, Oct 6, 2015.

1. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Not sure if anyone else with UHC got this letter, but I received it yesterday. They are only only covering one touch test strips at tier one pricing as of January 1, 2016. Anything else will be full price and won't go towards deductible or OOP maximum. We have PA medical assistance that covers anything that UHC doesn't cover (which is great, but they have been a PITA with getting our t:slim approved), but I don't know that they would cover it.

Good thing I was thinking of switching to the Vario IQ to be used with the t:connect application when we do eventually get the t:slim. I am going to call today to make sure they still cover our lancet drums for the fast clix, because we like them so much.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I've plan now only allows Humalog and won't even cover Novolog. Lol, my neighbors insurance just said they will no longer cover her Humalog but only Novo! So, we are going to swap!

3. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

I just got this letter too. I am SOOO mad! We already had to switch from Apidra to Humalog because UHC wouldn't cover it anymore, and now this. I refuse to make my son carry a PDM AND A SEPARATE METER! I can't wait to get the appeals process started on this. Ugh.

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

My insurance prefers One Touch too. But allowed us to get Freestyle at a higher copay with the Omnipod. So, I've been trading some of my excess One Touch strips for Freestyle to build up a stock... And tonight the little bugger decides he wants to go back to the t:slim!! It's all about contracts and preferred pricing. You'll get it all settled and then they'll change for 2017. :)

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would have your endo write a letter stating that Aprida is used for X reason and cannot be changed. Then, also state that child uses X strips because X meter communicates directly to the pump. That's what we did when a different insurance tried to make us switch from OneTouch strips when we were using the Ping. Thank goodness it was easy.

6. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

We ended up getting the new Verio, which I like because of the bright, colored screen. Got a free one from our endo and a free one through the insurance (which is on its way to PA from CA). We are still waiting for the state insurance to finalize our pump and then we should be set. Like I said, we don't pay anything oop (if we want anything with a CGM, state insurance won't cover it), so it wasn't a big deal. We have never had trouble with insulin, they prefer levemir, but I think my son did better with Lantus.