- advertisement -

UHC...anyone else get the lovely letter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We got letters yesterday stating that a supply limit has been put on our insulin. So, 21 vials of insulin (7 per month) for 3 months, 25/75 pens, followed by this last gem. Novolog is now part of the "step therapy" program. Meaning that it can easily be replaced with humalog. so, we are being forced to try humalog before novolog is covered. Starting July 1.

I guess it will be fine and all, but it's one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of things. We've always had good success with novolog and I know it will probably be fine with humalog. But, they say this will lower costs...theirs, not mine. That's the part that frustrates me.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry to hear it, that sucks. If it is any consolation, we were forced to switch from Humalog to Novolog by my insurance company a while back and I didn't notice any difference in the way the insulin worked.

3. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

We received two letters..one talking about limiting supply and one explaining Step Therapy....basically forcing us to try Humolog for a 3 month trial before we can continue ordering Novalog because Novalog might not be covered any more. It's crazy the difference in pricing between the two..maybe Humalog will be fine this time around. Sigh..

4. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

I got the one about the limited supply. Thankfully we don't go through that much insulin, yet and hopefully ever. We are already on Humalog, so thankfully no changes for us there.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I'm not with uhc but from the perspective of an outsider, if the alternative is raising everyone's premiums, I can see why uhc might do something like this...it's better than having no insurance at all. With all the changes required
    By the ACA, I think it is strangling private insurance a little bit.

Although I'd be mad if we got that letter. I'm not saying you are wrong to be upset. Just sayin. We had awesome coverage until the aca...since then our out of pocket costs have almost tripled. But it's still way better than no coverage.

Hope all works out for you.