- advertisement -

Ugh- Thrush

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ecs1516, Oct 2, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Okay I have never dealt with this before. I was on a steroid inhaler for the bronchitis I had. I rinsed my mouth after using it each time but I guess not good enough . I am seeing some white on my tongue. I got a tingly feeling first earlier today. Any suggestions?

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I don't know, but hope you feel better!!

3. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Thrush sucks.

In the short term get a good quality live bacteria unsweetened yogurt and eat a spoonful every hour or so, letting it sit in your mouth for 30 - 60 seconds or longer if you can before swallowing it.
    Eliminate white/brown sugar and yeast (bread) from your diet. You can introduce it back when the thrush is gone but be cautious.

Starting now and over the long term make sure you are on a really good quality probiotic.
    Soak your toothbrush in vinegar after brushing your teeth and change them often.
    Rinse your mouth with salt water after every meal.

You can use gentian violet in your mouth. It will stain it purple but it is a good remedy. You can get it at most pharmacies and health food stores.

Thrush can live in other places on your body and it can be fairly easily passed from person to person (ie to your husband) so if you are having trouble beating it, you may need to treat other family members.

Good luck
    Karen

4. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

There's also a prescription mouthwash if that doesn't work - it's called Magic Mouthwash. There's also an "adult" lozenge treatment, but it's horrible. Go for the flavored mouthwash.

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I don't think it's the same thing, but an RN once told me that they use this remedy that they call "Magic Mouthwash" in the ER (I already knew about it, but didn't know it was used in the ER!)...mix equal parts of Maalox and Children's Benedryl. Swish 30 secs, spit. Try not to rinse or swallow, if you have to rinse, try to wait at least a min before rinsing it out. I used it when I had a mouth and throat virus. I also dab it on mouth sores or when my gums where my wisdom teeth are hiding behind start hurting.

6. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

No, this one is benadryl/tetracycline/nystatin/dexamethasone. The one you mention is good for canker sores, but I'm not sure it would work on thrush.

7. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Yeah, I figured it would be something stronger. I guess the Maalox/benedryl combo worked on the virus sores because I was already on a pretty good antibiotic, and had been for a couple of days.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Oral thrush is horrible. I always just go to the GP, and I've had pills and liquid drop things to put in my mouth. I also try to eat loads of probiotic yoghurt, and not too much sugar because that's what it feeds off. Hope you're feeling better soon!

9. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I tend to get it at least 3 or 4 times a year. They say its a combination of having D and my asthma inhalers. I got thrush just as often when I did rinse or brush my teeth after using my inhaler as when I didn't so I've given up on that. What I've found to work is regular mouthwash. If the spots aren't gone in a 2-3 days then you need to go in to get a prescription. I've been told if you have a sore throat with the white spots, you should see your doctor not try to self treat.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Do you sometimes not get a sore throat with it, then? I always get a horrible sore, itchy feeling in my throat, and my tongue feels painful and tingley and stings. I'm not sure why I've had thrush so many times. I first got it about 5 years before I was dx'd with D, and I don't have asthma. Weird.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I was feeling worse today so I went to one of those minute clinic's. my tongue had small white bumps in the middle the roof of my mouth kind of hurt. Drinking diet coke felt like a strange burning tingly on my tongue. I was also feeling just plain yucky. Started getting hot and sweaty, kind of nausea. But I don't think Thrush feels like that. I did go to the health food store yesterday and got a probiotic(in the fridge) and the owner told me' for thrush to take xyotol(sp?) it is a 'natural sugar sub.' she said it has anti fungal properties , to mix with water and gargle. Never heard of that. I did do salt water gargle, apple cider gargle. Also I am milk intolerant . I ate one yogurt yesterday and that may have made me sick.
    So the clinic wrote got me a script for anti fungal mouthwash. I am suppose to swallow and gargle. I stopped the Flovent inhaler yesterday.
    Tired of feeling yuccky.