- advertisement -

Ugh...my son keeps going low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KylesMom, Oct 22, 2011.

1. KylesMom

KylesMom Approved members

I checked Kyle at 2:30 this morning and he was 60. To make a long story short ever since then its all I can do to keep him above 100. Countless glucose tabs, and uncovered snacks. The only novolog I've even given him today is with breakfast. I had such a hard time keeping his BS up with that in him that I'm afraid to bolus anymore meals until this stops. He goes up to about 200 after eating and then quickly back down to 100 or less....without novolog! We are just giving him smaller uncovered meals & snacks, about 30g. I reduced his lantus tonight by 1 unit, but now I wish I reduced it by more. It's going to be another long night...:(

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed a couple weeks before your son, and she has done the same thing twice in the last four months. The nights are awful - and led to us getting the CGM since she doesn't feel her lows during the night. For us, it seems to follow a virus. Not during the virus but starts the day the temp drops to normal. And then after about two weeks, her needs increase again.

Right now we're on high amounts of insulin due to a virus, so I'm expecting we'll be going through it in a few days.

3. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Sorry you're fighting constant lows today. We are too, and I don't have any idea why. She's not sick, and while she did have swim meet today, she usually runs higher on meet days compared to practice. We'll be up with you tonight - it seems the highest I've managed to keep her at is 107, and we skipped insulin at meals as well.

4. KylesMom

Kyle does not appear to be sick either, unless something is starting that hasn't shown symptoms yet. We decided to give him pizza last night, which definitely helped keep his BS up. He slowly crept up all night. I did give him a tiny correction after he went past 300 and that dropped him quite a bit. We will see what today brings. I hate not knowing what is going on in him, I just wish I knew why this is happening. But diabetes doesn't seem to like to answer that question :rolleyes:

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Sorry about the long night, but the good news is that your on the right track :) If he drops like that again tonight, lower it by 2 tomorrow night, then you can always put it back up one. :cwds:

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Has he been exercising more?

Has the weather changed?

7. KylesMom

We had a pretty busy weekend, not really physically active things, just a lot of places to be. He's had much more active days without dropping like this but who knows...

He always goes through these constant cycles of high then low, but this was extreme...and kind of scarry for a few hours.

Yesterday we gave him 1/2 doses of his novolog and he ran really high so i thought it was over and didn't reduce the lantus any further last night...BIG mistake. He kept dropping last night again. I will reduce it tonight. But I know this low period will end just as quickly as it started...

8. Lize

Lize Approved members

Oh how I absolutely HATE these days of unexplained lows... Good luck!:eek:

9. suz

suz Approved members

Could he still be honeymooning? Maybe his pancreas has decided to kick in a little more insulin. Very frustrating, I know.

If you see the same pattern a couple of days in a row, you may want to consider tweaking his I:C. If it's just at night, you might start with his dinner one first.

10. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I am dealing with the same low issues here too. 2 months since my DD was dx and I feel like a mad scientist with every meal/ or lows/ or highs. Last night I was fighting with a low just before bed time. I crammed her full of a solid 20g carb/protein combo snack and gave her an 1 ounce of a Dex4 drink. That did the trick because at 2 am her BS was sitting pretty at 164! :D
    She woke up with a BS of 122 at 7 am. So whew I did something right! I almost gave her less lantus but decided I should just go with the 4 units as on her med plan. Ugh! I know the feeling of "am I doing this right" or "did I do this wrong" or even worse "what the heck AM I doing?"

Best of luck!

11. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

I feel like we are going through the same thing... My DD goes low ATLEAST once a day but usually more. I chart, count, and the adjust everything and the we will have a good solid day :rolleyes: then it changes again... I think its time to dive in to a CGM I just hate to put anymore holes in my daughter :(.......