- advertisement -

UGH!!! Meters!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KylorsMom, May 14, 2013.

1. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

Hi friends....
    We had an endo appt the other day and decided to reduce ds lantus from 3 units to 2 because of lows. And she said if that doesn't work we will go 1.5 (time to get my glasses out again lol) so we went with 2 and were still seeing lows, so we switched to 1.5... and had a 320!!:eek: (even washed and checked again) Corrected and a few hours later he was at 60... Then went back to 2 units yesterday and he had two lows in the 60's.. so back to 1.5 today and I got a 264 before his lunch! Then I used another meter to check him before correcting since he went so low on sunday, ... well guess what, 154!!! :confused:

Seriously it's enough to make a person crazy!

So help me out, do I need to change the battery? How often should it be changed? How do you know if your meter is broken? I feel horrible for correcting the 320 when it was most likely the meters fault. (it was the same meter as today)

2. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

I'm no expert but I would do a test with control solution and possibly change the battery if that is off. Or maybe try a different bottle of test strips?

As far as the lantus and wonky numbers, we were told by my daughter's endo that she looks at morning (fasting) numbers to decide whether it's the basal insulin that needs changed or the carb ratio that needs changed. If you're seeing lows in the morning and your child hasn't eaten anything all night, then it's likely too much lantus. But if you child isn't having lows until later in the day they're likely getting too much insulin for the carbs they're eating.

I apologize if this is information you already know, or if your dr has said something different (please follow their advice, not mine). I just mention it because you mentioned a before lunch number being low which likely would be a carb ratio problem not a basal insulin problem as far as I know.

edit to add: I just saw that your son was diagnosed just before my daughter. We are dealing with honeymoon right now too and she is on 3 units of lantus and her dr has her up to a 1:60 carb ratio all day except breakfast which is 1:40. We just went to the 1:60 because we were seeing lunch time and afternoon lows. Some fellow type 1 moms explained to me that with Lantus she should generally be within 30 points of her bedtime reading when she wakes up in the morning, assuming she didn't need correction at bedtime or during the night and didn't eat anything. If her blood sugar drops more than those 30 points on a regular basis (more than once) her lantus is probably too high. It's not a hard and fast rule, as most things aren't with T1, but it was good info for me so I have an idea of when a call to the dr is warranted.

I also read something a couple weeks ago that said most commercial meters can be up to 20% off in their readings.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  3. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

We have been seeing some lows in the morning, and are already at a 1:50 carb ratio... gotta love the honeymoon :rolleyes:
    I tried the control solution but am not sure I did it right. It said 45 and had a little icon of the test solution.. think I will try to battery next. Thank goodness we have a few meters around the house!

4. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

right after my son was Dx we were on a 1:100 carb ratio and 2 units of lantus for about 6 months - I would see if your Endo will change his carb ratio's instead of the lantus