- advertisement -

UGH I hate my pump...please tell me it gets better!

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by rebeca322, May 1, 2011.

1. rebeca322

rebeca322 Approved members

Well I am new to this board and new to the pump, I have been diabetic for 10 years and just about a week ago I got on the pump.(ping)

Thought it was going to be great and I would feel better but not the case. I know that it is a job to get the basil rates and all the other settings right but I feel like a bouncy ball. I am all over the place. Checking my BG every 2 hours is getting to be to much. My fingers are so sore and I am pretty sure that they are going to stop give the little drop of blood that I need. Just very frustrated. If I eat my BG goes up and if I don't eat my BG drops...darned if I do and darned if I don't. I find myself crying a lot in the last couple of days, thought this would have been easier. My family doesn't understand as I am the only one blessed with this wonderful disease!

Please someone tell me that it gets better, because as of right now I am ready to take off the pump and go back to using my Lantus and giving my own shots...

Thanks for letting me vent...

Becca

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It gets better. I promise! It not only gets better, it gets downright wonderful and worth it. I promise!

My son (16) had a very long and very difficult pump transition, so be patient. It can take weeks or even months to get the basals set. In the end he ended up needing almost 10 more units basal via pump than he needed using Lantus!! Still totally baffling to me why that would be true, but it was true. He needed 13 Lantus and 22 via pump. Lots of highs and rages and feeling poorly to get there because you can't make that big a jump overnight, clearly.

Hang in there! It's worth it. Just imagine being able to eat without stopping for a shot...being able to know how much IOB you have....being able to let the pump do the math...being able to leave the house with just a meter and some tablets....it's so much easier.

3. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

It will get easier. One of the nice things about being an adult is that you can go zero carb to do basal testing. You can also skip a meal to do basal testing, and fasting for basal testing is really the most accurate way. Ask a kid to skip a meal or go zero carb. Good luck with that.;)

If your BG is dropping when you don't eat, then that is a pretty good sign that the basal is too high at that time. If you could get a CGM to use for a few days the info would be very helpful. Some endo's do do that. They have you wear a CGM and then they analyze the data and make suggestions for the pump settings.

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

It will get better! You are right in the middle of the learning curve right now, but you will turn the corner soon. Hang in there.

5. mocha

mocha Approved members

It gets better. It gets way better.

I know that it sucks now, but you can make it through this sucky part.

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Give yourself a good 7 weeks before you chuck it in the trash bin!;) Get all the help you can with the manufacturer and your endo. Let them be your support group if your family isn't up to speed. We had so many calls to the nurse about adjustments and we had long conversations with Animas about the best technique for inserting the infusion sets, etc. Try to read Pumping Insulin, it will give you so much useful information about how to basal test and adjust your settings. Once you get involved with all the testing and adjustments, you feel less at the mercy of a machine and more in control.

About the frequency of testing, there really isn't much you can do about that. One of the best uses of the pump is the ease of making an adjustment when you've given too little (or too much) insulin for a meal. It's pretty standard to test at least before each meal and two hours afterwards, upon waking, before bed and before and after exercise (and sometimes during if you are working out longer than one hour). If you can, try to think of the increased testing as the best tool you have to keep your bg's in range more often than before. So many have slogged through the ups and downs that you are now experiencing to get to the joys and freedom associated with pumping. You can do it!:)

7. rebeca322

rebeca322 Approved members

Thanks for all of the encouraging words and advise. It is just what I needed.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

A couple of things. I would use a straight in steel needle set, short needle length if you do not have lots of body fat. The steel needle takes away many of the variables. Make sure you do not have bubbles when you fill the reservoir. Search the CWD site for tips. Tape your sets down. Also get a really good lancing device. The multi clik is really pretty good. But just using a really fine gauge lancet and brand new lancets for each BG test helps with the fingers. Get the night time basals down first. Then move to the day tests. Then to fine tuning ratios for corrections and bolus amounts. Good luck and try to use your endo team if they are good to help trouble shoot. :)Ali

9. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Just Wait - You'll Love your pump!

Hang in there - you are in the learning curve. My husband has been type 1 since 1978. I finally convinced him 6 years ago to get an insulin pump. He was resistant at first, but finally went along with it.

Now he said he would NEVER go back to shots. You have so much more freedom and you will have better control. You have to test A LOT at the beginning to dial in your basal and bolus rates. Give that 4 - 6 weeks. Then you can go back to a much more normal testing schedule.

I promise you won't regret it!

10. Miike

Miike Approved members

So good I can hardly stand it

I started pumping 10 years ago out of boredom with injections--just wanted to try something new and different. After usung the pump for 2 weeks I fell off a scaffold at work and ended up in the hospital with a broken knee. A true blessing in disguise in that while on my back had little else to do but count carbs and check basils and boluses. That really got me off to a good start where I was doing the "feeding the insulin" thing from the injection days and began to learn to dial down the basil for the work and activity days.

11. GenTink

GenTink Approved members

Definitely gets better IMO. Obviously everyone's experience is different, but I've been pumping for about five years now and while the beeping and adjusting and added bulk sometimes make me want to get rid of the darn thing forever, I know I'm much better off with it.

12. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

I promise it does get better:) It takes awhile to go through all the adjustments. Hang in there, It will be worth it;)

13. Taz Monkey

Taz Monkey Approved members

I just went on the Omnipod about 3 weeks ago, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. After 19 years of MDI, the pump is so much easier. Although Iwill tell you, even though I'm also on a CGM, I still check my bg every 2 hours. There's not really a way around that if you want to keep in tight control. Give it some more time, I'm sure you'll end up loving it!