- advertisement -

Ugh.. Grandparents.

Discussion in 'Teens' started by emmx3, Mar 7, 2010.

1. emmx3

emmx3 Approved members

So within 5 minutes of walking into my grandparents house my grandmother made the top 3 no-no's to ask someone with diabetes.

1."How is your diabeetus?" Literally the first thing she said to me. Do I have to explain more?

2."Are you still taking insulin?" Nope, my pancreas is magically working again, thanks.

3."Ohh, too bad you can't have any candy. They're good, too." Actually, I can. I've told you this before.

SRGDGHET We've explained this to her. I can see if this was the first time seeing me after d'x but no. It's been 1 1/2 months.

2. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

well i kno that might hav been a little irritating, but remember that she probably is just looking out for u, grandparents always seem to think they kno wats best for their grandkids, evn if we think they dont, but those questions will probably be things ur gunna hav to answer to many kids u go to school with, ive had to answer the question "does it hurt wen u check ur bg" to the same ppl for almost 4 yrs, THE SAME PPL, they evn ask it after they asked it the day before, and ur teachers will ask if u can hav sugar, but the teachers are willing to understand if u can hav certain snacks, the students are just sometimes idiots, but most are just curious and want to lern about diabetes, thats how most of my frends are, the others just dont really understand wat im talking about, so basicly, ur just guna hav to deal with many ppl asking the same questions ovr and ovr, and remembr that ur grandparents were probably just giving u advice because they were looking out for u, and this quick reply is very long

3. Rukio

Rukio Banned

xD Just recommend a couple of books for her to read.

4. someone

someone Approved members

I feel your pain. Mine does the same thing.

5. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

mine dont do that to me, theyre 2 states away, theyre in california, im in washington, but all the idiots at school do, and my teachers occasionally ask, but they mean to learn not to ask a question theyll ask again because they didnt listen the first time

6. icanhazjoy

icanhazjoy Approved members

Oh bejeesus, I still have people doing this to me after 6 years and a bit. It's aggravating. Even my boyfriend does it, haha. Usually I just give them a kind of sarcastic glare and they know that they're just... wrong. Haha. :)

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

The worst is when people walk in to a room whweere your eating and say... can you eat that? with your ummmm condition? I feel like a freak sometimes! if I couldn't eat it then I sure wouldn't be!!!:mad:

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My grandparents were better than that, but two died since dx, and the only one I have left doesn't really remember who I am anymore. Of the two that died, one seemed to think that diabetes was something that would make me sick all the time and when she saw me was like, "Oh, you're looking so healthy!" The other had type 2 diabetes and made some comments about which fingers for checking blood sugar. Ironically, all of the times we compared our blood sugars (that was about five times, when he just happened to talk to me in the morning and would say, my number was XX what was yours?), I just happened to have lower numbers, so he thought I was in great control.

Try and be tolerant of elderly memories, particularly if your grandparents are forgetful in general.