- advertisement -

Ugh! Connor is sick

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sarahconnormom, Jun 27, 2009.

1. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

It has been a crazy week.
    We headed to San Antonio Monday for our Seaworld trip. I started feeling off Monday night and felt pretty rotten the next 2 days but I made it through Seaworld (though I'm not sure how). I'm still not feeling well but I'm on the 5th day now so really no point in going to the doctor.

When we got home last night Connor was complaining of a headache which I chalked up to too much sun and not enough sleep. He woke up this morning with 101.7 temp and a horrible cough. So much for my theory.
    Took him in to the ped and he dx him with Bronchitis and rx'ed Zithromax.

Later I talked to my sister and found out my 3 year old nephew was sick also (they went with us to SA). He tested positive for Influenza A this afternoon.
    Now I'm thinking the flu is likely what I've had all week and wondering if Connor has that on top of the bronchitis. I will be calling the ped in the morning.

As expected blood sugars have been all over the place today (100-378). So far the highest I've seen on the blood ketone meter is 0.7 and we cleared them pretty quickly.

I'm pretty sure I won't be sleeping much tonight though, if at all.

2. lynn

lynn Approved members

Yuck!! I'm sorry to hear you were sick for your trip.

How is Connor feeling this morning?

3. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

You poor thing--I hope Connor is OK this morning and that no one else comes down with anything at your house.

4. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I am sorry illness has striken your house:(...I hope Connor will feel better soon...have lots of fluid ready for him and get advice from endo on how to manage ketones and high/low BGs in case they occur. I am glad that you are feeling better..at least you have some energy back to take care of your little one...there is nothing worse than having to take care of a sick child while being sick yourself:eek:!!!!

5. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

I took Connor back to the peds this morning to be swabbed for the flu.
    My nephew tested positive for Influenza A last night so I called our doctor this morning to let them know.
    They did a CBC on Connor yesterday that came out fine and did not show anything viral which is why they did not swab him yesterday. But, Connor seldom follows the norm so they had me bring him back in this morning.

Sure enough, they swabbed him and he tested positive for Influenza A. So now we are dealing with bronchitis and the flu.
    Since it is still within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms they started him on Tamiflu.
    He is still running fever, is pretty congested and has a yucky sounding cough but hopefully in a couple of days he will be feeling better.

Blood sugars are still erratic but better than yesterday and ketones have been negative so far today. I am checking him hourly and giving tiny bolouses to keep his BS down and keep ketones away. TG for the pump so I can give those teeny tiny boluses.