- advertisement -

Ugh.... Basketball

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Poodle, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

So I had basketball this morning and it was a teammates birthday. So the coach brought doughnuts and sweet tea. The two perfect things for a diabetic. The coach knows I am diabetic but forgot about it this morning when he was buying the stuff. So I just sat there wanting to cry till someone went to the locker room. The coach was sorry and said he'll remember next time but I just felt awful. It was just a moment where I hated having diabetes. Has this every happened to anyone else?

2. babykat

babykat Approved members

Yes, this has happened to me a number off times before even though i was only diagnosed last year. People seem to forget and you shouldn't let it bug you. I know that's easier said than done and you feel like people should just care enough to remember. I often feel that way. In fact, the first time it happened to me i had just gotten back from the hospital about a week ago and a girl whose birth day it was brought donuts to school. You can imagine my dismay especially since the teacher had told the entire class about my predicament. I hadn't even wanted the doughnut it was just the mere fact that someone had forgotten my state of being. I didn't stay mad for ever though after i realized how little people know about diabetes. I am sorry this happened to you.:)

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

If I had been there, I would have just bolused for the donut and had some water to drink. Are you allowed to take insulin on your own? What did you want the coach to bring for you?

4. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I didn't know how much the dounuts were because they were bought from a local bakery. I can take insulin on my own. Like when we have parties at school my teachers will buy let's say dounut holes with carb counts on them and I can look and bolus. I just wish he would have let me walk home before they started the party and I wouldn't have felt so "out of place" sitting there with nothing to eat. I just don't feel like I am right for the team anymore

5. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

How long have you had diabetes? Are you on shots or a pump? After a while, you'll learn to be a good carb "guesstimator" so that you can still enjoy foods that aren't labelled. A typical glazed donut is 25-30 carbs. The calorieking book (or app) usually has some good suggestions if you're not sure.

6. mocha

mocha Approved members

That sucks. :(

I had a teacher do that in high school to celebrate us taking the AP exam (it was a party right after the test). Doughnuts, cake, all regular soda...and of course, he threw away all the labels. Stress from exam +only sugary things to consume...yeah, I sat that one out and looked really awkward.

I hope the coach remembers for next time. It's totally not fair when you're labeled "other" against your will.

7. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I have had diabetes for 4 years and I am on the pump. The donuts at this bakery are pretty big. We can guesstimate pretty good but theses donuts can range from 40-60 carbs when we weigh them at home. Now, I just don't feel like I should be part of the team because I feel that I hold them back when I have to check my bs

8. josmom

josmom Approved members

ok so i play basketball too. im diabetic and i have celiac, so no wheat. and i almost never get to eat team meal becuz of celiac. soooooo i just bring something that i know that i can eat. besides, u can still have doughnuts and sweet tea. just bolus for them! lol, the other day at practice, when i told my coach about celiac, he was wondering what i can eat. he actually asked if i could eat "dehydrated muffins"!!!! yes coach, because taking the moisture out of them also takes out the flour. Really??? hahaha so funny :)

9. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

Do you have a Calorie King book? i have one, and it lists carbs for a lot of foods, i bet it has doughnuts in it. i bring my insulin pen and my book and i never feel too limited.

10. coldblood676

coldblood676 Approved members

It is such a pain when this happens, for me im usually okay for the food and i just bolus for everything, but then when it comes to softdrink and no one brings diet stuff i just stick with water.

Abbie has the right idea with the calorie king book, i take one with me everywhere i go. Just to reasure myself on what im eating.

-Luke Saunderson

11. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

I have the calorie king book but last time I had these doughnuts I used what the book said and I went up to 401. Next time I went more and still landed in the lower 300s..... They are just bad doughnuts to have for diabetics. I just feel so left out because of my diabetes.

I know you'll say, you shouldn't and blah blah blah but I do.

12. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

How many are you eating? If I'm not sure the carbs on something. I'll only eat one and try to bolus for that. If my BG comes out good later, then I would just multiply that dose by however many I eat next time. If these donuts have over 60 carbs, I'm going to assume they are pretty big. I have a feeling you could just eat one and not feel left out.

I know it can be tough being the only one that has to be careful at parties. Darn it they are supposed to be fun!